Need help -2002 Ford Explorer XLS will not start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need help -2002 Ford Explorer XLS will not start.

ZomboWombo

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLS
Hello everyone, I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLS, I tried to start it yesterday but it won't start.

I replaced the battery about 2 months ago and I have all power to lights,radio, etc.

About 2 weeks ago, I tried to start up the car and it wouldn't start, after 3 or 4 tries it started up and there was no problems until yesterday.

The key turns and you can hear the engine trying to start up but it simply doesn't turn on.

Where should I go from here, I called Autozone and they said I should try the fuel pump relay or fuse first, is that the right thing to do ?

There is power going to the vehicle, so that rules out most electrical issues. How many miles on your X? If the fuse was blown, it would not allow for the vehicle to start at all. If the relay is getting stuck or is not working properly otherwise, that could cause the intermittent issue.

Remove the hose from the throttle body inlet and give it a shot of carb cleaner and try to start it. If it fires for a few seconds and dies I would go with a fuel delivery problem and start with the relay/fuse.

Back