2002 Explorer XLS won't Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer XLS won't Start

cptgunther

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
I have a 2002 Explorer XLS that, when I turn to start, nothing happens, no sound, now lights, all electrical dead. If I just turn the key to ACC everything comes on, and if I put it to run, without turning to start, all the idiot lights come on, so it looks like it's getting power. I thought it might be a bad PATS so I tried with the spare key, same thing happens. Any other place to look? I don't have a multimeter to check voltages, and I'm not particularly savvy under the hood. If I don't get this running by Tuesday, I'm probably going to sell it to pull-a-part (It's got 217kmiles, and other electrical problems with door sensors and a sticky brake light switch, so don't want to put much into it.) Any help would be appreciated.

That's 99% a bad electrical connection or a bad battery.

Remove and clean the battery connections. Check the ground connection from the battery.

If that don't help get the battery checked.

That's 99% a bad electrical connection or a bad battery.

Remove and clean the battery connections. Check the ground connection from the battery.

If that don't help get the battery checked.
I had a charger on the battery, and it seems to register as good. I even took the battery out of the truck to fully charge it..

I have a 2002 Explorer XLS that, when I turn to start, nothing happens, no sound, now lights, all electrical dead. If I just turn the key to ACC everything comes on, and if I put it to run, without turning to start, all the idiot lights come on, so it looks like it's getting power. I thought it might be a bad PATS so I tried with the spare key, same thing happens. Any other place to look? I don't have a multimeter to check voltages, and I'm not particularly savvy under the hood. If I don't get this running by Tuesday, I'm probably going to sell it to pull-a-part (It's got 217kmiles, and other electrical problems with door sensors and a sticky brake light switch, so don't want to put much into it.) Any help would be appreciated.
I have an 03 Explorer XLT 4.6L V8 and I just realized that the wire running from the solenoid on the starter is very loose and sloppy. Have a new part but in the meantime my bf climbs under it and taps the solenoid a couple times before I try to crank her over..works for us everytime

Back