HID Conversion Problems-2014 Sport | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HID Conversion Problems-2014 Sport

I just sent my kit back to coolbulbs, I could not deal with the unreliable headlights. The stock halogens suck, but they turn on...and stay on. May look at another kit, but need to have something reliable.

just to let you know its really easy to adjust the headlights. ford has a video show how it is done. it made a world of difference for me. I am still searching for a reliable HID kit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't received the kit I ordered or the XLT yet, but I consistently read these (which is what I ordered) are the best. Heck, if you want even better than those, consider these.

I'll be sure to do a write up/review once I have both at the end of the month.

***UPDATE****

I installed the new ballast in the Xsport on Saturday. On the first turn on, everything fired up and then the passenger light went off. Thats odd since it was the drivers side with the initial issue. I re-cycled the headlight power and they both came on. Two nights in a row it seems both lights are working correctly. I'm going to give it a few more days of testing. Hopefully they both remain on as they should other wise they are going back. So far so good on the new ballast since the install.

I have a 14 Sport, installed the coolbulbs kits for fogs and regular lights a couple weeks ago. I have been running them day or night to see if they keep plugging away. So far so good. I have noticed the crazy amount of heat the ecoboost engine produces after popping the hood. I have had a fair amount of high performance vehicles and I have never felt as much heat as the Sport's. I have no scientific facts to back this up. Does anyone else agree? If so, I would say the heat is killing the ballasts sooner than later. I have been in the habit of lifting the hood and putting a battery tender on other rides. So after I put the Sport in the garage, I do the same with lifting the hood till the next time I drive it. Let it cool down sooner. If I leave it down it can take a lot longer for the engine bay to cool than any other ride I have owned.

No more heat than any other turbo car I have owned (STi's / Volvo's).
On the EX Sport one side exhaust manifold / turbo's is front and center below your arms when you lift the hood. Look straight down. You can feel the heat on arms and face when you lift the hood.
On my most recent STi you could feel the turbo heat dumping out the front passenger wheel well when just parked. Volvo V70R same thing.

I'm on my 3rd ballast with Coolbulbs kit.

Headlights have been going strong for a couple of weeks but I've bad some problems with the Fogs.

Just put in new Ballasts and will see how that goes. Any more problems I'm giving up on Coolbulbs.

Andrew provides great service but it seems like this run of ballasts just don't want to work.

AI had them installed in my 2012 Limited with no problems but it's been a headache with my 2014 Sport.

Hopefully it's all fixed now.

I have returned my coolbulbs.com kit and ordered an oem kit from TRS. If this kit doesn't work, I'm not sure anything will. I will post my results when I get the new kit, and get it installed.

I'm on my 3rd ballast with Coolbulbs kit.

Headlights have been going strong for a couple of weeks but I've bad some problems with the Fogs.

Just put in new Ballasts and will see how that goes. Any more problems I'm giving up on Coolbulbs.

Andrew provides great service but it seems like this run of ballasts just don't want to work.

AI had them installed in my 2012 Limited with no problems but it's been a headache with my 2014 Sport.

Hopefully it's all fixed now.

So last night I was collecting my recycling bins and my wife was coming down the street and the passenger side bulb was not on. I have contacted Andrew and will be returning the kit. With my wife and a newborn I just wanted to try to increase the night visibility, but this issue is not giving me any peace of mind.

Back to the crappy stock halogens for now. I will be looking at other kits once someone finds something that works. Maybe one day there is an good solution to installing the factory HID's from the Limited, which to me would be ideal.

I personally think its the ballast as well. The guy in this thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397594 , his ballast seem to be working just fine. I got the inspiration to get the coolbulbs kit from that thread. My ballast in my kit are "flatter and wider", basically a different shape. I think possibly he sourced different ballast and these are the ones that are giving us the problems. I hope someone finds a good solution.

So last night I was collecting my recycling bins and my wife was coming down the street and the passenger side bulb was not on. I have contacted Andrew and will be returning the kit. With my wife and a newborn I just wanted to try to increase the night visibility, but this issue is not giving me any peace of mind.

Back to the crappy stock halogens for now. I will be looking at other kits once someone finds something that works. Maybe one day there is an good solution to installing the factory HID's from the Limited, which to me would be ideal.

I personally think its the ballast as well. The guy in this thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397594 , his ballast seem to be working just fine. I got the inspiration to get the coolbulbs kit from that thread. My ballast in my kit are "flatter and wider", basically a different shape. I think possibly he sourced different ballast and these are the ones that are giving us the problems. I hope someone finds a good solution.

I will know soon. I too was convinced by the DIY HID tutorial by a member here to try coolbulbs,and was really disappointed. I have ordered some "HIR" bulbs (amazon)and also a kit from The Retrofit Source. I ordered one of their OEM kits (not cheap), with can-bus. I am willing to try anything within reason. If I can get reliable HID headlights with this investment, I dont mind. If not, I will put the "HIR" bulbs in and call it done.

I will know soon. I too was convinced by the DIY HID tutorial by a member here to try coolbulbs,and was really disappointed. I have ordered some "HIR" bulbs (amazon)and also a kit from The Retrofit Source. I ordered one of their OEM kits (not cheap), with can-bus. I am willing to try anything within reason. If I can get reliable HID headlights with this investment, I dont mind. If not, I will put the "HIR" bulbs in and call it done.

Andrew has offered to send me another ballast. This will be my last attempt with this kit. I hope he just had a really bad batch of ballast and this works. I will report back in a week or so after I receive and test. :(

Andrew has offered to send me another ballast. This will be my last attempt with this kit. I hope he just had a really bad batch of ballast and this works. I will report back in a week or so after I receive and test. :(

Andrew has been great with switching out parts. I just can't do that for two weeks until it finally works. In my case, I was driving a 50k SUV with paper plates and a malfunctioning headlight. Frustrating.

Just installed TRS hid kit a few hours ago on my 2013 Sport. So far so good. They warm up right away, work in auto, and put the stock halogens to shame. Bulbs, ballast, and dual relay wiring harness for $150, I'm pleased so far. I'll do an install photo thread when I get time.

Just installed TRS hid kit a few hours ago on my 2013 Sport. So far so good. They warm up right away, work in auto, and put the stock halogens to shame. Bulbs, ballast, and dual relay wiring harness for $150, I'm pleased so far. I'll do an install photo thread when I get time.

I'm looking forward to your review after a few days. I have a kit coming from them soon.

Which ones did you order, and do they come with a plug-and-play connector/harness that connects to the factory connector with no wire cutting?

I got the 9005 kit. Whole thing is plug and play. Only cutting is the rubber cap for the wires to pass through. TRSRCFS promo code got me free shipping.

Good deal, thanks!

I got the 9005 kit. Whole thing is plug and play. Only cutting is the rubber cap for the wires to pass through. TRSRCFS promo code got me free shipping.

Sorry, one other question.... HD or CANBUS harness?

HD. There are a few others on here who have had TRS kits much longer than me. Might check with them to see how they are holding up.

trs hid

so what did you pick?5 Five dsp or 3 Five dsp?whats the difference anyway?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so what did you pick?5 Five dsp or 3 Five dsp?whats the difference anyway?

From what I have seen, the 5five has a higher output than the 3five. This means more output, but also shorter bulb life (2500 hrs. vs 2000 hrs.) and more heat. The general consensus seems to be go with the 3five if you are replacing halogen bulbs. Less chance of melting things, and longer bulb life.

With that said, it sounds like TRS has had a slew of problems recently with their ballast (as has Coolbulbs from the sounds of it). The new Morimoto DSP ballasts are supposed to be the solution, but I don't know if I really want to risk it. I really think if I do this upgrade, I am going to go with an OEM type of setup. That would be something like the Denso ballast, but that means they also need to be potted (waterproofed). By default the Morimoto's are already sealed, whereas the Denso (and most OEM's) are intended to go inside the headlight and therefore not completely sealed. At the end of the day, it sounds like anything other than OEM has a much higher likelihood of having issues. They are all made by cheap Chinese companies, and can have quality issues. DDM is one company people seem to have less problems with the ballasts at least recently, but apparently their customer service stinks. TRS seems to have really good service, but really crappy ballasts right now (and maybe the same applies to Coolbulbs).

I have to say, this seems like a PITA. I guess I have been spoiled by the fact that my last 5-6 cars came with HID lights to begin with. I still can't figure out why Ford couldn't swing in the Sport model. Boo to Ford on that one.... Well, I've learned more about HID upgrades in the last few hours than I ever cared to.

Back