• Register Today It's free!

5r55W question

jlgray81

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, Tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 EB Explorer
I'm looking to purchase a used 5r55w or purchase a vehicle that has the 5r55w. My question is, what vehicles have this transmission.I've seen some ads that say its a 5r55w but its 4 wheel drive. Did it serve as 2wd and 4wd? I was told only the 02 explorer had it. Is this true? I have a 2002 EB 2wd. What vehicles could I look for other than the Explorer? I appreciate any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2002-2005 explorer/mountaineer uses the same transmission. I'm not 100% sure if the engine mounting bolts for a v6 or a v8 are different. Doesn't matter if it's a 2wd or 4wd.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

I don't know the breakdown, but I think most use the 5R55S, not W.

The 5R55N, appeared in the Jaguar S-Type and Lincoln LS luxury sedans, and later in the 2002 Ford Thunderbird. The 2003 Thunderbird switched to the 5R55S and featured the option of Ford's SelectShift, which allowed drivers to mimic shifting like a manual transmission without a clutch. The 5R55S, minus the SelectShift feature, was used in models of the Ford Mustang from 2005 until 2010. The 5R55W appeared in models of the Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger from 2002 until 2010(Explorer) and 2011(Ranger)

I'm looking to purchase a used 5r55w or purchase a vehicle that has the 5r55w. My question is, what vehicles have this transmission.I've seen some ads that say its a 5r55w but its 4 wheel drive. Did it serve as 2wd and 4wd? I was told only the 02 explorer had it. Is this true? I have a 2002 EB 2wd. What vehicles could I look for other than the Explorer? I appreciate any help

The 5r55w was used only in the Explorer/Ranger and mostly just in 02 (although you can find them in 03s) mostly what you will find will be 5r55s. For the most part they are the same and why you commonly see 5r55w/s. In the explorer/ranger world 02-05 used the 5r55w/s later years also used the 5r55s BUT it is a different 6 speed transmission (you have to love ford)

Two things to keep in mind

1- The bell housings are not removable. What does this mean? Well it means that if you have a 4.0 you need a 4.0 transmission if you have a 4.6 you need a 4.6 transmission.

2- The output shafts are different for a 4wd and a 2wd. What does that mean? Well if you have a 2wd then that is what you need a 4wd one will not work. Now you can in-fact change the output shaft but you would need to take the transmission apart to do it.

There are other fords that used the 5r55s the mustang comes to mind, luckily you have a 2wd and that should give you more options.

I do not know all the years cars that ford used the 5r55s but if you go to the transmission section and ask or search I am sure someone can help.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=109

So I basically need to be looking at 02 explorers/rangers with 2wd...or should I say 02 explorer 2wd with a 4.6..seems like im VEEEEERY limited

So I basically need to be looking at 02 explorers/rangers with 2wd...or should I say 02 explorer 2wd with a 4.6..seems like im VEEEEERY limited

Nope as the 5r55s will work just fine. So you need 5r55w/s 2wd for a 4.6, there are lots of them.

Nope as the 5r55s will work just fine. So you need 5r55w/s 2wd for a 4.6, there are lots of them.

Isnt there some mods to do if I swap the W for the S?

the W and S are mechanically identical, the "S" just indicates a "select shift" feature which is disabled on trucks.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

Actually they are both almost identical. The "S" is for synchronous, and "W" is for wide ratio. The gearing is just a little different between them, but they are interchangeable. Not sure if the PCM accounts for the different 5th gear ratio though.

From my ATSG manual:
5r55s
1st Gear = 3.22
2nd Gear =2.29
3rd Gear = 1.54
4th Gear = 1.00
5th Gear = 0.71
Reverse = 3.07

5r55w
1st Gear = 3.22
2nd Gear =2.41
3rd Gear = 1.54
4th Gear = 1.00
5th Gear = 0.75
Reverse = 3.07

Actually they are both almost identical. The "S" is for synchronous, and "W" is for wide ratio. The gearing is just a little different between them, but they are interchangeable. Not sure if the PCM accounts for the different 5th gear ratio though.

From my ATSG manual:
5r55s
1st Gear = 3.22
2nd Gear =2.29
3rd Gear = 1.54
4th Gear = 1.00
5th Gear = 0.71
Reverse = 3.07

5r55w
1st Gear = 3.22
2nd Gear =2.41
3rd Gear = 1.54
4th Gear = 1.00
5th Gear = 0.75
Reverse = 3.07

So just pull this W and install the S and go? That simple?

So just pull this W and install the S and go? That simple?

Yup, although it can be a pain as the cross-member bolts almost always break.

Back