• Register Today It's free!

What's the best ignition setup?

Grea

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer limited.
Just like the title says. What's the best ignition setup... Or what setup are you guys running? What coils, wires, plugs etc? Trying to make a decent Street truck that's a daily driver.4.6l auto 4x4 limited.... Thanks in advance for your posts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't say there is a best. There are definitely worse.
Just use the proper plugs (no gimmic plugs like Rapid Fires, +2 or +4's.

If you go with premium product you'll be okay. Value line stuff is more like OE and works great when everything is brand new. By everything, I mean the whole car.

I remind people that you get what you pay for. Discounted parts are just that. The only deal you get on parts is when you work for a parts store. Any other deal is just less quality product.

Just like the title says. What's the best ignition setup... Or what setup are you guys running? What coils, wires, plugs etc? Trying to make a decent Street truck that's a daily driver.4.6l auto 4x4 limited.... Thanks in advance for your posts.

Can't go wrong with MSD. That's what I use.

Can't go wrong with MSD. That's what I use.

Now that we know your Rollin in the money, have you noticed any real improvement? How in depth did you go?

Now that we know your Rollin in the money, have you noticed any real improvement? How in depth did you go?

MMR Stage 2 PI heads
Comp Cams Stage 1 billet camshaft & springs
MMR 30lb injectors
MSD coils and plugs
Ported Bullitt Mustang intake manifold
Bullitt throttle body
EGR & PCV system delete
custom magnaflow exhaust
custom tune
Etc, etc....

What do you think? Lol

I guess he's speechless hahaha

Haven't had a chance to take it all in.

Did you do most at once?
Any gains out of it all? Other than the joy of playing that is.

Haven't had a chance to take it all in. Did you do most at once? Any gains out of it all? Other than the joy of playing that is.

I did it all at once and

I'm using the Accel COP's because mine went bad and they were half the price of OEM. I've been running them almost 2 years and they have been working great!!!

They best ignition setup is the OEM setup. Accel, MSD, etc will offer no benefit until you start making SERIOUS power. There are far better gains to be had from doing a tune, exhaust, cai, etc than there is from the ignition system. So if your motor is purring just fine, put your money towards something else.

Back