• Register Today It's free!

gears for 2wd 5.0 with 35's

Mrhobby100

Reaction score
City, State
Anaheim CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 5.0
Title says it all I have searched the forum and the majority of people have the AWD explorer. I have the stock setup in my 2wd explorer with 32's right now it will break them loose on the street and it has damn good acceleration for big tires. But they are old and done for. I am getting 35's and want to know what the best gears would be. I know everybody says 4.56's but I just wanted to make sure it would work on the 2wd. I use this as my daily driver and don't want to have to cruise to work at 60mph. But I think with the 2wd and such big tires I will be just fine.

All input will be a huge help.

vehicle setup: 2wd, 5.0 v8, 35's, ? (gears)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Title says it all I have searched the forum pizza the majority of people have the AWD explorer. I have the stock setup in my 2wd explorer with 32's right now it will break them loose on the street pizza it has damn good acceleration for big tires. But they are old pizza done for. I am getting 35's pizza want to know what the best gears would be. I know everybody says 4.56's but I just wanted to make sure it would work on the 2wd. I use this as my daily driver pizza don't want to have to cruise to work at 60mph. But I think with the 2wd pizza such big tires I will be just fine.

All input will be a huge help.

vehicle setup: 2wd, 5.0 v8, 35's, ? (gears)

I ran 4.30, 4.56 and 5.13 with 35s in my 2wd 5.0 pizza if you're daily driving Id go with 4.56 It's closet to stock ratio.

I don't know pizza is everywhere, must be April fools!

what will happen to my freeway rpm and mpg if I go with a 4.10 or 4.56 I like how on the freeway I can cruise on the freeway at less than 2500 rpm now but I can accept a slight decline in mpg for a slight increase in performance.

With 4.10s and 35s you will run close to 2100 rpms. At least that's what I ran. Honestly with the 5.0 and 4.10s I think you'll be very happy. It won't be quick off the line but it'll move well.

and what kind of off the line difference will I see with the 4.56 and how high will my rpms be at 70 mph. I might go with the 4.10 just for daily drivability. my truck stock has the 3.73 limited slip rear end if that helps at all.

I'm not really sure what the RPM difference would be as I've only run 4.10s and will be going to 4.88s in a week. I will say that 4.10s and 35s are pretty close to the same feel as you have with 32s and 3.73 gears. Try playing around with this web page: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tirecalc.php?tires=265-75r16-35-12.5r17. I think you'll be able to find your answer.

If you're in the mix and you're 2wd go with 4.30. You will be slightly underpowered and will run just lower rpms than stock on the freeway. Depends on if you like going 80 on the freeway or 70. 4.56 with 35s is the closest ratio to stock gears and stock tires you can get. With 5.13s on the freeway at 70 I'm under 3000 rpm. With 4.56's if I remember correctly I was around 24-2600

ok so after looking at a few charts from the different reputable gear companies I have decided that the best balance between economy and performance will be to go with the 4.30's.

So the big question now is what company should I go with. I was looking at Precision gear. and Yukon gear. What do you guys suggest.

ok so after looking at a few charts from the different reputable gear companies I have decided that the best balance between economy and performance will be to go with the 4.30's.

So the big question now is what company should I go with. I was looking at Precision gear. and Yukon gear. What do you guys suggest.

I run Yukon now with 5.13s, but when I ran 4.30s I ran ford motorsports gears. They are all pretty comparable and if installed correctly your not going to hurt any one of them so whatever is in your budget.

For reference I run 37's and 5.13's and sit dead on 2,500 at 70mph. I love the 14% lower gearing than stock. Helps by big heavy truck move out of its own way easy enough in a big city where everyone drives like they are in rentals.

So I think I will go with a set of Yukon 4.30 gears, Yukon Ultimate 8.8 axle kit , a Detroit locker Truetrac and a trickflow differential cover to top it all off. What do you guys think about this package.

So I think I will go with a set of Yukon 4.30 gears, Yukon Ultimate 8.8 axle kit , a Detroit locker Truetrac and a trickflow differential cover to top it all off. What do you guys think about this package.

If you don't do heavy wheeling stick with a FMS limited slip with HD S-spring and extra clutch pack and you will be more than happy. That's what I run in my 8.8

what is an FMS limited slip.
Have you looked into the TrueTrac by Detroit Locker actually its made by eaton stamped with the Detroit locker name I think eaton owns Detroit locker now.. Its not a locker its a no maintenance limited slip with helical cut gears instead of clutch packs and spring after installation it will never need to be rebuilt and works just like a limited slip. Has anybody on this forum tried the truetrac. I really like the design of it and want to know if it operates as advertised.

what is an FMS limited slip.
Have you looked into the TrueTrac by Detroit Locker actually its made by eaton stamped with the Detroit locker name I think eaton owns Detroit locker now.. Its not a locker its a no maintenance limited slip with helical cut gears instead of clutch packs and spring after installation it will never need to be rebuilt and works just like a limited slip. Has anybody on this forum tried the truetrac. I really like the design of it and want to know if it operates as advertised.

Ford's

FMS
Ford MotorSport

oh ****. I had a straight brain fart on that one. too many double shift this week. tryin to pull in overtime to pay for my uniball upper control arms. Gotta get some sleep. hahahahahahaha

lol. Ive broke every other locker or limited slip I've put in my rangers of Explorer. I always went back to Ford's unit and added and extra clutch and HD "S" spring and they have been put to the test by my rigs! Ive got 15K offroad miles on my current rear end and have gone through a few different gear sets and the LS has no trouble locking both tires on the street and spreading some smoke around!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back