Little bit of Buyers Remorse.... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Little bit of Buyers Remorse....

I had taken our Limited on some of the drivable beaches and causeways around here without any issue. If I was big into offroad, I'd still pick the Sport over the Limited, but to be honest, I'd probably switch out the wheels and tires for something more appropriate on either truck. Both trucks stock wheels are too pretty to wreck up, plus as previously mentioned the wheel size and tire height are for the streets.

As far as the tighter suspension.... That was actually a big concern going in to our Sport. My wife LOVED the ride of the Limited. We were expecting something super tight, but somehow we find it much more comfortable in regular causal driving; it's a great ride.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorers without the Big Ecoboost Engines are SLUGS.
That is your opinion and you are entitled to it whether it is right or WRONG. Both engines are the same 3.5L V6 and the N.A. engine is aptly suited to the Explorer and has plenty of power.

Peter

You'd say the same thing if you compared the "Big Ecoboost Engine" to an F1 car.

Peter

Hence the theory of relativity. No car will fill all your needs so obviously your choice is a compromise. I love performance and have owned a Corvette and Maserati but enjoyed the roominess of my SUVs (VW Toureg, Chevy Avalanche, Tahoe). Thus i wanted an SUV that gave comfort to my 6'4" frame and some joy to my need for speed. For me the compromise was the Ex Sport with the Livernois Tune. Sure the front wheel drive bias is annoying but it is surprisingly nimble and quick. If family is your concern then the Sport may not be your choice but for me it was the logical compromise.

db

I don't understand why Ford has not given the Sport all the Limited options. My Saab Aero has all the options of a regular loaded Saab. A BMW M5 has all the options of a 550. The main point of the Sport is more HP and a tighter suspension. Yeah, give it a little different look like the Aero and M5, but I see no reason to take out nice features. Perhaps Ford wanted to meet a certain more affordable price point on the Sport, but at least give the option to get it fully loaded with all the goodies. I don't have the need for a Sport, but if wanted one with the extra cost I'd prefer to fully load it if desired.

To me the reason on not going to a Sport for me personally is the offroad ability of an XLT or Limited with 18" wheels with a softer suspension, but I guess it got off topic. I understand the popularity of the Sport as the Ex is now much more a street vehicle than something to be considered a truck or for offroad - not that it was even historically a big offroad vehicle, but some people won't buy a 5th gen. Ex now that it is front to AWD and unibody. I'm one of the not too common offroad types who does not mind the unibody AWD - so I would take a Limited with 18's over a tighter suspension Sport for offroad purposes. Guess that is off topic. Or at least the tire talk was.

Otherwise, the argument is about slight appearance differences, more HP and better suspension. If you want the performance you will live without a few Limited features in my view. I see far more XLT's and Limited's on the road, but there are more than a few Sport posters on here as no doubt they are performance enthusiasts who would like an auto forum - and I can appreciate that. If I did not go offroad, my ideal Ex would have a combination of the Limited and Sport features. I think the Ex has an aggressive look as is, but the Sport is more so and I can see men liking where the Sport would not be confused with a kid carrier - even if that is what it is also used for.

I agree

the 18 inch wheels on my XLT are superior for off road and the NA V6 is also a great choice for off road

BUT, Ford is correct there are MANY who prefer on road performance and they build the sport for them as it is a better choice for people who demand on road performance.

Be really nice if Ford offers real 4wd in the future or Jeep gets their act together on the GC

I don't understand why Ford has not given the Sport all the Limited options. My Saab Aero has all the options of a regular loaded Saab. A BMW M5 has all the options of a 550. The main point of the Sport is more HP and a tighter suspension. Yeah, give it a little different look like the Aero and M5, but I see no reason to take out nice features. Perhaps Ford wanted to meet a certain more affordable price point on the Sport, but at least give the option to get it fully loaded with all the goodies. I don't have the need for a Sport, but if wanted one with the extra cost I'd prefer to fully load it if desired.

The only option not on the Sport is the Power Third Row, the interior trim in the Sport is actually nicer than the Limited.

The only option not on the Sport is the Power Third Row, the interior trim in the Sport is actually nicer than the Limited.

Then what's the debate? Either you want the power and and tighter suspension and are willing to pay the price or you don't.

Test drive the two and find out yourself.

BMW offers a 528, 535, 550 and M5. Same car, mostly same options except different engines/suspensions and slightly different look.

The 535 sells the most. Those buyers like what the 5-series offers and feel the 535 offers enough power at the best price point. Others want the performance and are willing to pay for it. Seems to me the mid-point engine on the Ex also sells the most.

Of course people with the Sport are going to say the power is worth it. People like me who see no need to drive a large SUV fast don't see the need to pay more. If I thought the NA was underpowered I'd consider the Sport, but works fine for my needs.

You forgot rain sense wipers, Lane Keep System, HIDs, Active Park Assist.
Then only in the upcoming 15 model was heated wheel and PowerFold 2/3 row seats added.

I agree all should available alacarte options but I was told it would price the Sport beyond what consumers would pay.

The power fold 3rd row is available on the 2015 Sport. As for the 2014 Sport, according to the Ford website it does not have 3rd row power fold, luxury seating package, heated steering wheel, lane keeping, Active Park Assist, Rain sensing wipers, HID headlamps and the 20" polished aluminum wheels. As for the interior trim, that is always a personal choice/opinion. The limited also has many more Standard features that are Optional on the Sport. I don't know how accurate that website info is but it definitely looks like more options than just the power 3rd row seats are 'not available' on the Sport.

Peter

The power fold 3rd row is available on the 2015 Sport. As for the 2014 Sport, according to the Ford website it does not have 3rd row power fold, luxury seating package, heated steering wheel, lane keeping, Active Park Assist, Rain sensing wipers, HID headlamps and the 20" polished aluminum wheels. As for the interior trim, that is always a personal choice/opinion. The limited also has many more Standard features that are Optional on the Sport. I don't know how accurate that website info is but it definitely looks like more options than just the power 3rd row seats are 'not available' on the Sport.

Peter

Does the Sport come standard withe contrasting stitching on the leather? I thought I heard that. Neat feature, and makes no sense why that would not be standard on the Limited. Is it even an option for the Limited?

I think Ford is still trying to figure out how to differentiate the LTD and Sport.

I say give them both the same packages, pick and choose, and you will just pay more for an equally fully loaded Sport due the extra HP and sport suspension. You should also be able to get a bare bones Sport if you just want the HP where you can save some money.

We ultimately went with the Sport over the Limited. Engine and interior trim sold us. Got the 401a, dual moon roof, towing, 2nd row buckets. Only Limited feature that we wish our Sport had is the 3rd row power fold seats.

One thing we are adjusting to is the blacked out look. Not sure what Ford was thinking putting chrome handles on a blacked out vehicle??? Also the wheels could be better looking, the Edge Sport wheels are far better looking.

All in all we are loving our new Sport so far.

I owned a 2011 Limited and found it too sluggish for NYC/NJ traffic. You need pep or you'll get run over. I traded it for a BMW 535i. BMW is an awesome car and quick, but lacked the gadgets and anything like SYNC.
I loved the Ltd and it was the only time I ever traded in a car and regretted it. So much so that when I discovered the Sport this past year, I did a lot of research and decided to come back to Ford. After all, the only reason I gave it up was the power. I've had the Sport for only a week and I love it. Flawless so far and lots of pep.
I wish I made the change from Ltd direct to Sport.

Back