Solved - Got a 97 5.0 AWD that is stumbling at a stop | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Got a 97 5.0 AWD that is stumbling at a stop

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Blackbox19

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer
Runs fine down the road, just when come to a stop it starts idling funny like its missing. But when put in neutral the stumbling goes away. So not sure if its torque convertor related or some electrical sensor.
This is my daughters truck and she is off at college with it so I am having to diagnose it over the phone.
What would cause this issue?
Any test that I can do to check anything?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any one? Read a few post about using friction modifier in the trans to help with the grabbing or what ever the trans is doing wrong..

Or change fluid. But truck only has like 50k easy miles on it..

Is it hesitating just when in gear, or also when the A/C is turned on? Is the CEL on? Even if it's not, it's probably worth plugging in a scanner, to look for pending codes. Could be as simple as a dirty/malfunctioning IAC.

any one? Read a few post about using friction modifier in the trans to help with the grabbing or what ever the trans is doing wrong..

Or change fluid. But truck only has like 50k easy miles on it..

Check for vacuum leaks.

MT

Is it hesitating just when in gear, or also when the A/C is turned on? Is the CEL on? Even if it's not, it's probably worth plugging in a scanner, to look for pending codes. Could be as simple as a dirty/malfunctioning IAC.

Only in gear does it do it, daughter can pop out of driven into neutral and it stops doing it. So I dont think its the IAC. No codes

Only in gear does it do it, daughter can pop out of driven into neutral and it stops doing it. So I dont think its the IAC. No codes

Clean the IAC. It really might help, and all it takes is some time. :thumbsup:

While cleaning it, pay real close attention to the plunger. You will figure out how to open and close it, do this while spraying cleaner and you will feel it "free up"

I have had the same problem coming to a stop. My IAC was gummed up. It is only 2 bolts to remove and spray. Worth a shot in my opinion.

I am going to try the cheaper stuff 1st then move on from there. Cleaning the IAC is cheap.

I had a similar issue with but mine would do it pulling a grade. Turned out number 5 spark plug had cracked. Spark plug did not have that many miles on it maybe 5k. Good Luck

Well I did exactly nothing to fix it... Must have been bad gas, as she had just filled it up. After it ran all out and she refilled it, it got back normal again..

The few times I have stalled out it was because of fuel pump or vacuum leak.

Well I did exactly nothing to fix it... Must have been bad gas, as she had just filled it up. After it ran all out and she refilled it, it got back normal again..

You'd be surprised what bad gas can do. I try and only put in BP, Mobil, Hess, and Sunoco in my X. After experimenting with lesser quality gas, it just runs so much better on good gas. I would however change out the fuel filter.

Glad you got this figured out!
I will activate the "solved" tag

You'd be surprised what bad gas can do

Slightly off topic,

A local self serve convenience store got diesel put into their regular unleaded tank and had to fix about 210 cars before they figured it out. You and I both know for a fact some folks from out of town got bit and don't know what hit them.

Slightly off topic,

A local self serve convenience store got diesel put into their regular unleaded tank and had to fix about 210 cars before they figured it out. You and I both know for a fact some folks from out of town got bit and don't know what hit them.

I'd love to say I'm surprised, but I'm not.

Last winter I used to go to a local small gas station around the corner from my house because it was full service and I hate pumping gas in the cold. This winter I went exclusively to Mobil and Sunoco and noticed a bump in fuel economy and the engine runs smoother.

Back