Homemade 4 Inch Body lift Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Homemade 4 Inch Body lift Questions

nerdplanet

Reaction score
City, State
Valparaiso , Chile , Southamerica
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport 4wd
Last night i was thinking about making a 4 inch Body lift for my 02 Sport , i have made body lift kits before on my lathe , i got some 3 inch diameter HDPE bars to make a custom Body lift for my Samurai , but then i tought about which kind of problems i could run into during the install , my main concern is about the Transmission extender .. do i need a transmission extender if im running an Auto transmission ? anyone has a photo of it ? ..

the steering extension will be the biggest problem with function, followed closely by radiator drop brackets. the other concern would be safety. there is a reason there are no mass marketed body lifts taller than 3"

I think a 4" body would require a good amount of ( home made ) engineering with wiring , lines,hoses steering etc . I would search on here for the 3" that people do on the 2nd Gen. before you make anything on the lathe , which is awesome that you have that machine ! haha.

I did a home made 2" and I can tell you 4" is going to be way to much work and will not look right. You bumpers will either look really tall if you make them or the factory ones will be above the frame. I wouldn't go past 3" let alone the safety issues with going that high on a body lift. For steering shaft check out the link in my signature.

Back