Any news on if Ford will publish a new map card? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any news on if Ford will publish a new map card?

The card is sold at some dealers ranging from 125-200. Ebay had a few "guaranteed" authentic ones for $40. I picked up an ebay version since it comes with the ebay guarantee so I cant be out of $40
I think I'll wait until the next MFT update. Maybe an A5 card will be part of it like the A4 (free) card was before.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is a question for the IVT team:
Apart from "updated" maps, are there any other features on the A5 which arent on the A4? I am assuming the core functions of the navigation is off the card..i may be very wrong.

Is there anything that needs to be done by the dealer or is this just a matter of taking out the A4 and putting the A5 in?

Thanks

So, would that work for a Explorer that was purchased without Voice-activated Navigation?

No. If navigation isn't factory-installed, the SD card will not give you that feature.

I just bought my 2014 less than two months ago and I'm expected to pay for current maps?...

Missing parts, body panel fitment issues, crappy dealership service, and now this. I can't wait to move on to another auto maker for my next SUV.

I apologize for your frustrations, awake33; have you contacted Crystal about the missing parts and body panel issues? If not, I suggest doing so. Here's the link to her profile:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/member.php?u=157968

As far as the SD cards, A5 was just released. To my knowledge, they'll be going into the vehicles that are currently being built.

This is a question for the IVT team:
Apart from "updated" maps, are there any other features on the A5 which arent on the A4? I am assuming the core functions of the navigation is off the card..i may be very wrong.

Is there anything that needs to be done by the dealer or is this just a matter of taking out the A4 and putting the A5 in?

Thanks

This is just a map update; there are no new features or software. The core functions of navigation is in the MFT software. :)

Rebecca

So I received my A5 card today (ebay) and I popped it in for my drive to the gym. I gotta say it seems a little more accurate and faster than the older A4 card. Could just be that I am conscious its a new card and my mind it making things up.

What I did was drive past my exit and within 3-7 (I tried counting) seconds it did a reroute. Previously it would just sit there and wait a minute or two. Will keep running it on every destination I do for the next week. There is one spot that I complained about that it just took me around in a circle, will see how it handles that one tomorrow evening.

So I received my A5 card today (ebay) and I popped it in for my drive to the gym. I gotta say it seems a little more accurate and faster than the older A4 card. Could just be that I am conscious its a new card and my mind it making things up.

What I did was drive past my exit and within 3-7 (I tried counting) seconds it did a reroute. Previously it would just sit there and wait a minute or two. Will keep running it on every destination I do for the next week. There is one spot that I complained about that it just took me around in a circle, will see how it handles that one tomorrow evening.

Yours was the $40 one right?

Other than new geodata are there any differences in the Navigation GUI?

Sorry SGT didn't see this question earlier.

I didn't notice any difference, but I only spent about 30 mins total in the car so not much time to see if there was any enhancements to the actual maps.

I'll have more time over the weekend

Replace a POS with a new POS that has a different number. Ford Quality is job None.
All this whining and you still have yours! Can't be that bad then. Why don't you simply get rid of yours and move onto another Forum. I'm sure that would make many members here very happy!

Peter

All this whining and you still have yours! Can't be that bad then. Why don't you simply get rid of yours and move onto another Forum. I'm sure that would make many members here very happy!

Peter

A vehicle isn't something most people can just swap out on a whim. Most of us can't afford to take losses like that. Your attitude is unreasonable, and econimcs are likely the reason he still has it. Saying "it can't be that bad" because he still owns it is ridiculous and shortsighted.

A vehicle isn't something most people can just swap out on a whim. Most of us can't afford to take losses like that. Your attitude is unreasonable, and econimcs are likely the reason he still has it. Saying "it can't be that bad" because he still owns it is ridiculous and shortsighted.
Obviously you haven't read all his posts.

Peter

Obviously you haven't read all his posts.

Peter

Nowhere in his posts do I see the indication that he should willingly take a huge financial hit just to be rid of the vehicle. I may be wrong, but it seems you are missing my point entirely.

It's pretty simple, we are talking $$$$$.

Replace a POS with a new POS that has a different number. Ford Quality is job None.

Is there a problem with the map cards? Seems like a good thing to update maps. Don't let the sky hit you, I heard it's falling.

Sarge,
You stepping in on these kids...LOL?

The card works just fine. Maybe if there was a list of changes that accompanies each card people will feel alot better when they have to fork out money for a new one.

Personally i believe any updated map card should be released by an update to the navigation software. Because the software should be optimized to use the card.

However i do like the new card and as a techie i dont mind spending $40 for an update.

My current and past Ford fleet

Current:
2007 Explorer 89k
2003 Explorer 247k
2006 Escape 135k
2012 Escape 25k

Past:
1995 Explorer 160k
1998 Winstar 175k

None of these had any drive train issues and none of them ever left me or a family member stranded anywhere. I don't think your current 'POS' is indicative of Ford quality.

Sarge,
You stepping in on these kids...LOL?

The card works just fine. Maybe if there was a list of changes that accompanies each card people will feel alot better when they have to fork out money for a new one.

Personally i believe any updated map card should be released by an update to the navigation software. Because the software should be optimized to use the card.

However i do like the new card and as a techie i dont mind spending $40 for an update.

Thanks, I was concerned that the $40 cards may have been of a lower quality but if you have had no issues then I will proceed.

I agree it would nice to have a "change list" to see whats new, then you could evaluate the need for an upgrade.

I remember the GM Nav discs used to include changes to the Navigation GIU not just geodata updates so they were sometimes worth the expense which used to run $200/DVD.

Back