• Register Today It's free!

Initial off road impressions

dtr

Reaction score
City, State
orlando, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 ford EX XLT AWD
OK first attempt was some off road we hiked in NM (I forget the name of the trail) After hiking I was a little concerned I might get stuck, but a 4x4 truck started down the trail when we got back to the EX so we followed him.

Unfortunately he did not continue on the trail for long and turned around so I passed where he turned around and turned around my self a little later. I did not know it at the time but the trail seems to be a little worse than gemini bridges in Moab.

Gemini Bridges is more challenging than I suspect most current EX buyers want to drive as you climb the hill but the other side from canyon lands is pretty easy by comparison.

The EX also handles various flatter sandy trails as well.

I know the die hard off road guys would not be happy with the "limited" performance, but my wife did not like the climb up to Gemini Bridges so I suspect the average EX buyer will be more than happy with the EX's off road capabilities.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK first attempt was some off road we hiked in NM (I forget the name of the trail) After hiking I was a little concerned I might get stuck, but a 4x4 truck started down the trail when we got back to the EX so we followed him.

Unfortunately he did not continue on the trail for long and turned around so I passed where he turned around and turned around my self a little later. I did not know it at the time but the trail seems to be a little worse than gemini bridges in Moab.

Gemini Bridges is more challenging than I suspect most current EX buyers want to drive as you climb the hill but the other side from canyon lands is pretty easy by comparison.

The EX also handles various flatter sandy trails as well.

I know the die hard off road guys would not be happy with the "limited" performance, but my wife did not like the climb up to Gemini Bridges so I suspect the average EX buyer will be more than happy with the EX's off road capabilities.

The Ex AWD is fine but for the most severe off road. No way the Ex will be doing severe stuff given how low to the ground it is and the 7.5" front ground clearance.

The limitation for the Ex is not the AWD for mild to moderate off road, but rather ground clearance. Front departure angle is the problem for grade changes. The chassis is not much higher and on a rocky road you could be asking for trouble with no skid plates.

That being said, the Ex is just fine for mild to moderate off road without steep departure angles due to grade changes.

..Any pictures?..:popcorn:

The Ex AWD is fine but for the most severe off road. No way the Ex will be doing severe stuff given how low to the ground it is and the 7.5" front ground clearance.

The limitation for the Ex is not the AWD for mild to moderate off road, but rather ground clearance. Front departure angle is the problem for grade changes. The chassis is not much higher and on a rocky road you could be asking for trouble with no skid plates.

That being said, the Ex is just fine for mild to moderate off road without steep departure angles due to grade changes.

You are perfectly correct, but for most buyers I think they will never take the EX some place where they can get it stuck as they will ignore anything difficult. Like I said even the 4x4 truck did not like one trail even though his vehicle was more than capable (it was a shinny new truck)

All the Explorer needs is a lift kit and I bet it can do some serious offroading.

Back