Easy Trails in Moab for dead stock Aviator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Easy Trails in Moab for dead stock Aviator

pushbrk

Reaction score
We'll be driving through the Moab area on the way to Texas in a couple weeks. (Last week of August) We have a nice stock 03 Aviator 4X4 and would like to take a trail or too to see the sights. I've looked at some trail information and saw reports of even a 2X2 Explorer making it to Gemini Bridges without any problem.

Any recommendations or comments. Obviously, I don't want any damage of any kind and will take things easy. My off-road experience is pretty limited and mostly with 2X2 vehicles going in to get firewood or to a camp spot. I am a very capable and confident driver.

pushbrkAviator.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gemini Bridges has become much easier over the years and you should not have any problems.

Do you have Wells' guide book for Moab?

Other trails I would recommend for you would be Hurrah Pass, Onion Creek/Fisher Towers, and even the loop road that runs around the base of the LaSal mountains is nice but most or all of it is paved (if you want to avoid pavement).

Trails that are listed easy in Wells' book that I would not recommend for various reasons are Picture Frame Arch (tight brush, hard route finding and very remote), Long Canyon (very tight, some off camber with drops and washouts when I ran it in May), Hidden Canyon (steep sandy hill has to be driven both ways, could get you stuck in a remote area)

Gemini Bridges has become much easier over the years and you should not have any problems.

Do you have Wells' guide book for Moab?

Other trails I would recommend for you would be Hurrah Pass, Onion Creek/Fisher Towers, and even the loop road that runs around the base of the LaSal mountains is nice but most or all of it is paved (if you want to avoid pavement).

Trails that are listed easy in Wells' book that I would not recommend for various reasons are Picture Frame Arch (tight brush, hard route finding and very remote), Long Canyon (very tight, some off camber with drops and washouts when I ran it in May), Hidden Canyon (steep sandy hill has to be driven both ways, could get you stuck in a remote area)

Thanks, no I don't have the guide book. I've just been reading on various websites. I had also read about Hurrah Pass and continuing on to Chicken Corners. Sounds like it's really quite well maintained to the pass and perhaps a little rougher the rest of the way.

I just saw my post again. Don't know what my fingers were thinking when I typed 2X2. :) Although I have done a lot of motorcylce riding on mountain trails but that's 2X1, isn't it.

This will be interesting

:popcorn:

We will be there on Sept 1-3 if your still around.

We will be there on Sept 1-3 if your still around.

Thanks for the offer but we're just passing through and taking a couple ours to get a taste. Maybe we'll take another trip and rent a lifted Rubicon.

Back