Setting up additional lighting, slowly... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Setting up additional lighting, slowly...

ghost30

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer EB
Hey guys, so I've got a question, or a matter of opinion if you prefer.

I'm attempting to add more auxiliary lighting to complement the existing headlights, but doing so on a VERY *tight* budget. Like, selling video games to buy parts, tight. I've been buying lights from Walmart for about $25 a pop, last year I'd picked up a set of Optronics for a vehicle (never got them installed for various reasons) and ended up having to do a modified wiring job on those. My Ex is an EB with the bug guard, window guards, and the overhead visor, which I've been using to mount the lights up top.

Initially, I had the Optronics driving lights on top, not realizing that my positioning would blind me when I hit the switch. After the first fail, I pulled them and mounted them to the bottom of the front bumper via existing bolt holes, but evidently wore through the wiring because one day it just went "pop!".

I have the proper type installed on top now, in accordance with MN law (must be covered when on public roads) but not yet wired, no relays... while out mudding this last weekend, I hit a submerged sudden edge and jarred the hell out of my front end. I didn't realize it at the time, but I smashed the lenses on my Optronics. Apparently, below the bumper and in front of the radiator guard is not a good place to mount lights. I don't have any pictures to upload and show what I'm talking about, but I'm trying to be as descriptive as I can.

A friend of mine who does significant offroading in older Ford pickups informed me that mounting any sort of auxiliary lights behind the grill (one of the locations I'd previously considered) is a felony in MN as it can potentially be mistaken for an undercover law enforcement vehicle. This guy's word should be taken with a grain of salt though.

Where would be a good location for mounting replacement lights on this vehicle? http://www.walmart.com/ip/Optronics-Driving-Light-Kit-with-Hid-Style-Lenses/16680057 This is what I busted up... Where would be a better, more protected location to mount these lights?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd go with top of bumper... pretty easy to drill. The ones in front of the bumper here are just 1/4" steel angles that I painted black then mounted up under the bumper. Lights are mounted to them.

IMG_20140622_153501.jpg

yeah top of the bumper is pretty popular. on a side note.. where in MN are you form?

I'd go with top of bumper... pretty easy to drill. The ones in front of the bumper here are just 1/4" steel angles that I painted black then mounted up under the bumper. Lights are mounted to them.

looks nice kinda like mine used to :)

20120828_180643.jpg

sploder.jpg

with this bad boy I dont need any other lights!!!!!!

Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you guys... Been busy with work and kids/wife.

If it helps at all, I'm gonna try to post a few pics later today or this weekend. Here's hoping i have the time lol.

Dustinjorge, how have you dealt with the potential for your lights getting smashed up if your approach angle is wrong? That's kinda what I'm worried about... That, and i don't have access top any kind of welder lol.

pbnj22, I'm from the iron range, sixty miles north of Duluth. You?

EDIT: Apparently, I'm not able to upload a photo of my bumper... possibly something to do with the Elite Explorer stuff? Idk... I have a picture, but I don't know how I'd upload it. It's saved on my computer if that helps.

Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you guys... Been busy with work and kids/wife.

If it helps at all, I'm gonna try to post a few pics later today or this weekend. Here's hoping i have the time lol.

Dustinjorge, how have you dealt with the potential for your lights getting smashed up if your approach angle is wrong? That's kinda what I'm worried about... That, and i don't have access top any kind of welder lol.

pbnj22, I'm from the iron range, sixty miles north of Duluth. You?

I am from Duluth. I will be up on the range hopefully buying a motorcycle this weekend!

Sorry for necro-posting, but just wondering if there's any way for me to post pics directly to the thread instead of trying to upload them to an album on here from my phone? My pics are all on my phone, but it's less than easy to upload them to an album on such a small screen; figured it'd be a good idea to upload the shots I have of my new lighting configuration. Otherwise, I'll just have to wait...

Sorry for necro-posting, but just wondering if there's any way for me to post pics directly to the thread instead of trying to upload them to an album on here from my phone? My pics are all on my phone, but it's less than easy to upload them to an album on such a small screen; figured it'd be a good idea to upload the shots I have of my new lighting configuration. Otherwise, I'll just have to wait...

On top of the bumper if you don't have a brushguard, and on the roof for sure, you can mount them right onto the pre existing cross bars, I swear somewhere on here somebody has put the lights behind the grill and it looks really good, also, I have had my setup on my Explorer for over a year now and although I have been pulled over multiple times, I have never had a ticket for my lights, just for speeding, and tinted windows, lol.

pic of my rig..
2dif6zs.jpg

Also do you have web browser on your phone? If you do simply post your pictures to an image hosting site and copy the image code for message boards onto here.

Can you recommend a good image-hosting site? I used to have a Photobucket account years ago, but the site associated with it went down (guy couldn't pay for the bandwidth) and at the time I didn't feel the need to keep my login credentials. Looking for something that's gonna be around for a good long while...

Back