suggestions on a solid brush guard? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

suggestions on a solid brush guard?

konablue

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Monica, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 5.0
suggestions on a solid brush guard?/foglight question

Hey, just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a frame-mounted, floodlight-capable, winch-load-capable, brush guard. It would be going onto a 98 xlt. Preferably without cutting into the stock bumper. Even a brand-name would help. And for those of you that have auxiliary foglights, which circut did you wire them into? or did you install auxiliary switches?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

as for the fog lights i personally went with an auxiliary switch, and ran the power straight from the battery to a relay and so on. made it easier in my opinion....

I would for-go trying to get it all in one package. Get yourself a nice Stainless Brush guard that will last for more than a few months, and will take care of the light mounts and such. Hunter truck parts....

Then get a front receiver and one of the 2" receiver winch cradles, that way you can move it around to the back if you need it there. OR take it off when you aren't wheeling so the cable doesn't get ruined...

cool thanks guys. any ideas on where to mount aux switches?

I know a great fabricator who can make you a *****in winch bumper/brush gaurd. http://www.bbpfab.com/index2.html

He's a great guy! He fab'd up my SOA perches and WILL be doing my cage in the future ;)

If your looking for stock then go with a Warn Trans4mer grille guard with the built in winch capacity. The typical grille guard isn't designed for a winch other than the Warn.

thanks for the input. also-I get the impression that there are a few different types of off-road lights, which are best? are they for different applications? i.e. flood vs. fog...

have any of you had to put in a bigger alternator for foglights?

Ray Lobato put on a brush guard made by Ramsey to install their winches on, and it's basically a modified heavyduty WAAG guard. I love my WAAG and how it looks, and Ray's setup looks really sweet. It's expensive though.

thanks guys!

xj I think your link is dead, but if it's the manik I think you're talking about I know what you mean...I like them too.

Yeah, sorry. I tried.

Back