How do I verify TSB/Recall service history? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I verify TSB/Recall service history?

NeuroResid

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi,

Approx. a week ago my wife and I received a TSB recall notice specific to our 1999 Ford XLT 4.0 SOHC vehicle via snail mail. Although I do not recall exactly, I vaguely remember the notice referencing a switch malfunction that may cause random engine bay fires, even if the Explorer is parked and completely turned off.

Anyway, because we're not the original owners, how do I verify dealer service history, specifically TSB and/or recall service? Lexus' website allowed us to punch in our VIN and review all dealer service history online - it was a pretty sweet portal. Plus, our new BMW has a similar portal.

Does Ford not have a feature online for current owners? I created an Owner Account on Ford.com, but the the "My Service History" link say's "No service records have been found for this vehicle. . . " after entering our VIN.

I find it hard to believe Ford does not have service records specific to this vehicle, whereas I know for certain the vehicle's been dealer serviced previously.

Granted the Explorer is our spare vehicle, I'm very nervous keeping it if I cannot verify any recall service history, especially with the car parked in our apartment complex. Moreover, with all of the recalls as of late, I'm not looking for a dealership handout, but I'd appreciate an avenue to verify the service history specific to recalls.

Any potential avenues I'm overlooking? I'm going to call the local dealership tomorrow, but I'd appreciate a comprehensive recall service list if I can find one. Otherwise, I'm likely to sell the vehicle within the next few weeks.

Thank you!

-K.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any Ford dealer's service department should be able to tell you if your vehicle has had this or any other recall work done yet. The recall is probably for the cruise control wiring near the master cylinder. As a fireman myself, I have seen several Ford vehicles go on fire due to this defect over the years.

I don't know about finding this information on Ford's website, but it is an excellent idea.

Maybe? Probably has a cutoff date by vehicle year.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402399

Thank you for the link. This is the same information I was able to obtain via the Owner portal. As of now, the only "recall notice" for my vehicle, as noted by Ford's website, is:

ID: 05S28
Title: Speed Control System Modification

After researching this specific recall, I'm positive this is the same notice I received in the mail.

I don't expect Ford's Owner portal to blast any and all NTHSA recalls/TSB's, but it sure would be nice to see what service history has been complete over the years. Granted the dealerships may have access to this information, I'm slightly shocked this data cannot be easily integrated into their online Service History log, even if the vehicle is "old" by today's standards.

Edit: Quick thought - if this is the only formal notice from Ford to me, the owner, does this implicitly suggest all other important and/or potentially hazardous recalls/TSB's are in fact complete? Otherwise, why inform me of only one potential hazard? My point is that if this is the only concern their internal system is flagging for me to see, then should I presume all other potential life threatening and/or dangerous recall notices have been completed and/or serviced on my specific vehicle?

Please take note, I'm not trying to be sensational or alarmist, but considering our automotive insurance policy for the Explorer (liability) is approx. the same for full coverage on our newer vehicle, I'm beginning to wonder if owning a vehicle with frequent recalls is worth the insurance overhead.

I am not associated with Ford in any way, so take this with a grain of salt. To the best of my knowledge, Ford has a system called OASIS, where service information is maintained. You can probably sweet-talk the service writer at your nearest dealership to print a report, but the system is not accessible by the public - which includes the owners. I have no idea why; probably for some legal reason. Would be nice to have one of the members who are Ford employees to explain.
As for recalls, I believe that the only legal obligation manufacturers have is to inform you of outstanding (not yet completed) recalls. Again, OASIS will have the full history.

Thank you for the link. This is the same information I was able to obtain via the Owner portal. As of now, the only "recall notice" for my vehicle, as noted by Ford's website, is:

ID: 05S28
Title: Speed Control System Modification

After researching this specific recall, I'm positive this is the same notice I received in the mail.

I don't expect Ford's Owner portal to blast any and all NTHSA recalls/TSB's, but it sure would be nice to see what service history has been complete over the years. Granted the dealerships may have access to this information, I'm slightly shocked this data cannot be easily integrated into their online Service History log, even if the vehicle is "old" by today's standards.

Edit: Quick thought - if this is the only formal notice from Ford to me, the owner, does this implicitly suggest all other important and/or potentially hazardous recalls/TSB's are in fact complete? Otherwise, why inform me of only one potential hazard? My point is that if this is the only concern their internal system is flagging for me to see, then should I presume all other potential life threatening and/or dangerous recall notices have been completed and/or serviced on my specific vehicle?

Please take note, I'm not trying to be sensational or alarmist, but considering our automotive insurance policy for the Explorer (liability) is approx. the same for full coverage on our newer vehicle, I'm beginning to wonder if owning a vehicle with frequent recalls is worth the insurance overhead.

If you got the letter it means your recall hasn't been done. I did this recall on my Windstar and it took less than an hour. I refuse to go through the hassle of leaving my vehicle at the dealer for the day so they can do this, so when I notice a leak starting on the switch in my Explorer I'll just buy the $10 part and do it myself.

Bill

i had my Ford dealer check for me when i had the cruise control recall done. i had no outstanding recalls on that vehicle. my '97 needs to go in for the cruise recall. i'll see if their records go back far enough to check it's history.

i've had 2 vehicles in for the cruise control recall. they did it while i waited (took about 30 mins).

Open the hood, look at the sensor/switch mounted on the end of the brake master cylinder. Follow the electrical connection, if you see an inline fuse on the wiring harness, the recall is installed.

Back