Running Offroad Lights Using the Foglight Curcuit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Running Offroad Lights Using the Foglight Curcuit

RED 97

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 ford explorer sport
Hello, I plan on removing the front valance on my rig and was wondering if I could run a pair of lights on the stock foglight wiring and switch?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No problem you should at least be good up to the stock wattage.

i use the one side of the stock harness to trigger a relay that powers 4 roof rack lights on my Explorer,,
it's not real hard to do,,

Im doing it been that way for months with no issues. Was running the factory fogs with the second lights on top of them till I broke the factory lights off

I would recomend using a relay. I tried this back in the day and burned up my headlight switch. It literally had a smoked black mark on the circuit board. That was the last time I tried to run anything on the factory wiring without a relay.

OP if you are replacing the fogs with the off road lights, it should be a direct swap. If you are adding off road lights in addition, add a relay as well.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm gonna go with a pair of KC halogen driving lights; either 5 inch 55 watts on the factory wiring or 6 inch 100 watts using a relay. I'm currently trying to think of a way to mount the lights and a couple of tow hooks to my front end. Will the draw amperage be a concern?

the stock system is only good for 35 watt lights,, 55 watt lights will burn up the harness,, as stated by another poster,

use a relay, avoid all the hassle ,,

Back