Windows stutter... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windows stutter...

For me, I had an incident where my dad tried to roll down the rear driver side window and the back glass just shattered. They said the window regulator broke the window and dealer replaced it under warranty. Now I don't know if it's the same issue but I have the stutter only in the front windows. I'm just guessing the windows are just extra loose in the front for some reason but I hope it's not a window regulator issue.
Others with that same issue have had the window motors replaced and that fixed the problem. (see the link I provided in earlier post #10)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2014 windows don't roll down smoothly

Hi everyone. I am wondering if this is 'normal' for my explorer. When pressing the window down button (whether holding it or clicking it) it is chopping on the way down. It doesn't matter if the car is in park or going 65mph. Its only choppy until about the halfway point. If nobody else has this I can take a video of it? Thanks in advance!

This is something every 5th gen model has a problem with, apparently including 2014.

Service Bulletin No.: TSB-13-6-13
Component(s): VISIBILITY
NHTSA ID Number: 10053467
Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company
SUMMARY:
FORD: WHEN FRONT WINDOW GLASS, ON SOME VEHICLES, ARE BEING OPENING OR CLOSING, THERE IS A CHATTERING OR JUMPING MOVEMENT. MODELS 2011-2013 EXPLORER. *PE
OK, our ex had significant chaterring/stuttering the first few inches of opening the front driver & passenger door. Dealership replaced window motors and now it's perfect! Also performed the TSB for the greasy glass at the same time.
12-03-02 - FRONT WINDOW GLASS JUMPS/CHATTERS DURING UP/DOWN TRAVEL
Part numbers replaced:
DB5Z*7823394*A Motor asy-Window operating
DB5Z*7823395*A Motor asy-Window operating.

Thank you for the replies. So this is something that Ford will replace under warranty?

screamercy, I have merged your thread with this existing one. There are others. As indicated this is not a new problem although it doesn't appear to be as prevalent as it once was with the earlier models. In most cases the window motor was rep[laced to solve the issue and this is a warranty item.

Peter

screamercy, I have merged your thread with this existing one. There are others. As indicated this is not a new problem although it doesn't appear to be as prevalent as it once was with the earlier models. In most cases the window motor was rep[laced to solve the issue and this is a warranty item.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I will ask them about it when I go in for my first oil change :)

MY 2014, built in November of 2013 both fronts do exactly as described, chatter. The complaints on this thread seem to be earlier years correct?

...When pressing the window down button (whether holding it or clicking it) it is chopping on the way down...

I have it on my 2011 limited too...

MY 2014, built in November of 2013 both fronts do exactly as described, chatter...

Hi everyone,

I recommend making an appointment at your dealership so they can get this diagnosed and repaired. Come back and post your results; I'll be here to step in and help, if needed.

Crystal

This is a problem that has been present ever since the 2011 models, our window regulators got replaced under warranty, but the stuttering/chattering issue has come back again.

I dont have time to take my car to the dealership for these nit picky things (There are alot more)... they just shouldn't be a problem.... hands down... quality game @ Ford needs to be upped.

I dont have time to take my car to the dealership for these nit picky things (There are alot more)... they just shouldn't be a problem.... hands down... quality game @ Ford needs to be upped.

I completely agree with you Chaz. The very first month I had my Ex which was fresh from the factory, I had problems and it was sitting in my dealership. I have never been so disappointed in quality and workmanship with any other car I have had. Where is QC?

We "had" a 2014 Explorer Sport that we unfortunately got rid of a week ago due to numerous quality issues (detailed in my earlier post). The window chatter is not a motor issue...the window motor is fine...it's the track or something in the door getting caught up, either way the dealer/s response was pathetic.

Crystal,

If you read this I will send you an email directly detailing the entire experience.

-Brian

Front driver and passenger Windows rattle.

I have a 2014 -ford explorer xlt. When I put the Windows down it does not go down smooth in fact it shakes and rattles as soon as it starts to go down. I have taken it in twice both times the problem was not fixed I was told I had to let the grease settle on the track. So here I am with the same problem. Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions?

Welcome to the Forum familyof5.:wavey:
I have merged your thread with this existing one on the same issue. In most cases replacing the window motor has fixed the problem.

Peter

I have a 2014 -ford explorer xlt. When I put the Windows down it does not go down smooth in fact it shakes and rattles as soon as it starts to go down. I have taken it in twice both times the problem was not fixed I was told I had to let the grease settle on the track. So here I am with the same problem. Anyone else have this problem or any suggestions?

...I was told I had to let the grease settle on the track.
FBS that is...I want to CURSE CURSE CURSE so BAD!!!!!

Give them this info and see what they say.
Also older model years are mentioned in oily residue TSB, but should be included with newer model years, since its happening on all the 5th gen model years.

Service Bulletin No.: TSB-13-6-13
Component(s): VISIBILITY
NHTSA ID Number: 10053467
Manufacturer: Ford Motor Company
SUMMARY:
FORD: WHEN FRONT WINDOW GLASS, ON SOME VEHICLES, ARE BEING OPENING OR CLOSING, THERE IS A CHATTERING OR JUMPING MOVEMENT. MODELS 2011-2013 EXPLORER. *PE
OK, our ex had significant chaterring/stuttering the first few inches of opening the front driver & passenger door. Dealership replaced window motors and now it's perfect! Also performed the TSB for the greasy glass at the same time.
12-03-02 - FRONT WINDOW GLASS JUMPS/CHATTERS DURING UP/DOWN TRAVEL
Part numbers replaced:
DB5Z*7823394*A Motor asy-Window operating
DB5Z*7823395*A Motor asy-Window operating.

11-10-9 OILY FILM ON INSIDE FRONT DOOR WINDOW GLASS
Printable View (47 KB)
TSB 11-10-9 OILY FILM ON INSIDE FRONT DOOR WINDOW GLASS

Publication Date: October 7, 2011

FORD: 2011 Explorer
ISSUE:
Some 2011 Explorer may exhibit an oily film or horizontal oily lines on the inside of the front door window glass.

ACTION:
Follow the Service procedure to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Remove front interior door window glass moulding.
Clean door window glass with Motorcraft® Ultra-Clear Spray Glass Cleaner or equivalent.
Replace front interior door window glass molding with revised part.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
BB5Z-7821457-A Window Glass Moulding - Left Hand
BB5Z-7821456-A Window Glass Moulding - Right Hand
ZC-23 Motorcraft® Ultra-Clear Spray Glass Cleaner

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
111009A 2011 Explorer: Replace The Interior Door Window Glass Belt Moulding One (1) Front Door (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.4 Hr.
111009B 2011 Explorer: Replace The Interior Door Window Glass Belt Mouldings Two (2) Front Doors (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.6 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7821457 42

I sure hope they clean the grease out the tracks, or better yet, replace them. That will end up attracting a lot of dirt over time. I also couldn't believe what I was reading in that post.

Peter

I have said this before:

People forget that a vehicle is made up of literally thousands of parts and pieces. It's a testament to the auto makers that the design and build has gotten so good nowadays that people think all they have to do is drive one off the lot and they will be perfect. The reason there are warranties is because small issues are bound to occur with something this complex.

Obviously a lot of folks on here don't remember buying vehicles in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, when things going wrong were the norm. You just made a list, and took it to the dealer on the next service, which were MUCH more frequent than today's 7,500 - 10,000 mile oil changes.

I think the manufacturers deserve a lot of credit for getting it pretty much right with something so very complex.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldnt say nit picky - many of these can be safety issues, all are certainly quality, longevity issues.

Overall its terrible to buy a brand new car and have a handful of important systems or parts that are displaying wear equaling 5, 10 or more years.
I will only compare this list to my 97 CRV which I bought at 48k miles, traded at 127k miles for a new Ex.
CRV had none of these issues-only typical maintenance, and after 4 years
the entire exhaust/cat system pipes rusted thru and fell off multiple times.:D

When I traded it this was going to happen again for sure, and rear differential whine indicated some kind of metal on metal rubbing. :eek: And water pump would screech like a bat out of hell if temps went below 40.;)
But 127k miles hey ok traded it.

But issues here are all common to many, many owners and only seen from 2011 thru 2014/2015 model years.

I myslef have 3rd row leak, bad window regulators, A trim pillar applique that is sqeaking like it wants to fall off but hasnt.

For all 5th gen model years, these are not wear and tear, not coincidences, but are instances of low quality design/parts/implementation in a car,
in effect these things must fail or break
unless all are reviewed in the design to remove design/ production defects over time.

Its obvious that since 2011, these defects have not been taken care of but were being reported and seen in many areas of the country.
They are defects-not random failures or wear of parts or bad owner care.

Just from memory;

APIM fail-warranty extended by Ford to 5 years regardless of miles.

leaking of fluid from front half shafts, loose or worn front axles.

3rd row leaking from seams or roof rack;

Window regulators are worn/bad/ dont work right off the assembly line.
Windows are greasy if lowering into door 1 time-the first time, right off the assembly line.

Steering rack is worn/bad/dont work right off the assembly line.

Brakes are worn/bad/dont work right/lock up off the assembly line.

Cowl flaps in the breeze.

AC doesnt seem to drain correctly and mold smell permeates vehicle again and again.

Hard acceleration results in exhaust/strong burning smell in cabin.

A pillar trim falls off the car on the right side.

Front control arms/struts are worn/bad/ dont work right off the assembly line.

Tramsmission is worn/bad/ doesnt work right off the assembly line.

On this forum alone, 3(?) blown engines with low miles in cars totaling no more than 3(?) years old.

AC fans are worn/bad/ dont work right off the assembly line.

Internal temp fan worn/bad/ dont work right off the assembly line.

Nit picky - i think not.
Although many here claim these problems on "my $50k vehicle shouldnt happen, etc etc",
I hope that they didnt actually pay $50k, but less.;)

Back