• Register Today It's free!

Ford explorer or JGC

johnny19

Reaction score
City, State
st petersburg florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 ford expedition xlt
I'm 18 and currently in college and looking for a new SUV, I currently drive a 2002 ford expedition xlt so sometimes I like to keep the RWD proportions but I'm really considering the ford explorer sport with AWD but I do like the looks of the JGC and masculinity of it (not saying the ford doesn't) I want sporty handling I know the expo weighed what 5400 pounds? But that never kept me from throwing it in a corner or tackling twisty roads. I like the v8 that comes with the JGC because im coming from a v8, but ford ecoboost v6 has proven plenty powerful and strong. What would be the better choice for a 18y/o in college? Im only intrested in SUV'S as I do not like sports cars etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this a serious question?

Come to an Explorer forum and ask which is better...

...WTF?

I really don't expect this to be a serious question.

If you want advice from another young person like you,
I have an Explorer. I'm 20, a college student.
Here is my advice:

If I were you, I'd buy an Explorer because there's no point in having a V8 Jeep, you wouldn't tow with it at all. You have no need for an SUV, you have no family to haul around unless if you're going to help your family. Also, you're most likely not going to off-road with it.

Also, from my experience, I wouldn't buy an SUV because it's not a chick magnet type car at all unless if you're going to give a ride to lots of people and use the extra space in the rear for college uses. Don't expect to turn heads with an SUV though. You're not going to look cool to teenagers when you drive it though so really no point in buying an Explorer. Just my two cents.

Now, to be honest, your post is immature. Why? I wouldn't come to a public forum boasting I am 18 years old and want to buy a car. Your age should be irrelevant. No one cares if you're 18, just ask the question. It just makes you look like you like throwing your money out there acting all cool. Especially if it is your parents money and not yours. Also, the only thing buying an SUV is good for is saving you from an accident that you will most likely cause as you shown the signs of an immature driver, but then again, it'd be dangerous to other motorists.

I would suggest you buy a smaller cheaper car a car is the worst investment you can make.

When I was 16, my dad bought the Explorer for me to use but I insisted on paying him back monthly for the car, and I paid him back in full some time last year. I only wanted the Explorer because my dad had one before and I wanted to use it to help my family. Now, that being said, if you're going to pay for the vehicle yourself, then okay, I can see why you're bragging. Then again, it's really immature to do this kind of bragging. No one is going to take you seriously.

Right now, you would have read my reply as a WTF or you might get jealous or you're mature and you realize it sounds stupid. Then you can realize how stupid you sounded too. :)

This is a bogus troll message. How the hell does someone in college afford a $50,000 vehicle? I call BS on this one.

Agreed!

This is a bogus troll message. How the hell does someone in college afford a $50,000 vehicle? I call BS on this one.

Just another looser with too much time on their hands...

I would rather push a Ford than drive a Jeep.

However, Gentlemen this seems to be getting to the point of "Bashing" we are all better than that.

I would rather push a Ford than drive a Jeep

Good chance of doing that with both brands.

I would consider JGC for the diesel. No other reason.

When I was in college I drove a Nissan GTR, I was considering the 911 but it wasnt as good on gas.

From what I've seen in college, it's mostly just kids with rich daddies and mommies that buys them the cars and they brag like it's their's.

I know a few people who DO actually make that kind of money in college though. I know one guy who flips iPads and other items on Ebay and made 40,000 a year.

I know another guy who is leasing or paying of a Mercedes because he's doing a product based pyramid scheme. (Avoid stuff like that, one of them is called Vemma, it's a rip off).

It really depends on the person's situation and drive. The reason I was able to sort of afford an Explorer and college at the same time is because my family had financial problems when I was younger and I did all I could to hustle and find ways to help them (Legally of course).

In areas like the major cities, especially in DC where a lot of the government jobs and contractors are, and if you have connections, you can get a really nice job/ internship that pays really well.

Of course, even if a college student could afford a 50,000 vehicle somehow, I think it's the dumbest investment one could make... Especially when one has to pay college tuition and doesn't own any assets yet.

IMO, you'll like the Ford Explorer. The standard 6-cyl that we have in our XLT is much "peppier" than I ever thought it would be so I imagine the ecoboost would be even peppier. Call me crazy but the handling actually reminds me of the Ford Probe that I had in my youth. I never drove "race car-style" though so that might have something to do with it. I will say though, that I would not recommend "throwing it into a corner". Twisty roads can be fun when driven practically though.

It has been sometime since I've driven jeeps and never GC but I have owned several wranglers and a Liberty and I have driven a couple Commanders. They are each their own monster but, IMO, all seemed "clunky" compared to the explorer. Again, I've never driven a JGC so it may be different especially with its unibody design.

And welcome to the forum.

OP - we cross shopped the V8 Grand Cherokee and Durango, and both felt slow. The Explorer is fast - check the zero to 60 times website. The explorer really punches above its weight, though it is not quite as good as the SRT Grand Cherokee. Chryser's Uconnect is better than MyFordTouch, but Ford seems to have worked out the kinks so that MFT works, even if it isn't the best infotainment system.

Ford was also offering fantastic incentives when we bought our 2014 earlier this year, and had the Explorer priced much more aggressively compared to a similarly spec'd Grand Cherokee. We got our Sport with moonroof, tow, and tech package out the door for $43,750, and the best that the Chrysler dealers could do was in the $51,000 to 52,000 range.

My younger brother has only been in college 2 years and could afford a Sport, if he so desired. He worked his ass off doing three jobs in high school, and graduated with above a 4.0. He got a full ride to a state school for engineering thanks to his good grades and worked a paid internship both summers. He's also an RA so his room and board is free, tutors a few hours a week, and saved almost everything.

Not everyone who does well young does it with mommy and daddy's money. Some people work hard and make good financial decisions. How they chose to live their lives

Thank you [MENTION=260133]amd2800barton[/MENTION] and [MENTION=249029]wifes2011xlt[/MENTION] since you guys were the only two to actually respond with maturity with what I asked. Instead of calling my a retard with to much time on my hands. Its called working for a living. For all other comments I'm 5 months aways from becoming a pharamacy tech and 3 years from becoming a pharmacist. What else I don't get is how most of you call me immature but then call me names over the Internet and make funny comments, shows how more mature I am then you guy's. Anyway thank you for the comments and have a nice day.

Well played Johnny. Well played...

generator-can-t-tell-if-serious-or-trolling-7e8642.jpg

Thank you [MENTION=260133]amd2800barton[/MENTION] and [MENTION=249029]wifes2011xlt[/MENTION] since you guys were the only two to actually respond with maturity with what I asked. Instead of calling my a retard with to much time on my hands. Its called working for a living. For all other comments I'm 5 months aways from becoming a pharamacy tech and 3 years from becoming a pharmacist. What else I don't get is how most of you call me immature but then call me names over the Internet and make funny comments, shows how more mature I am then you guy's. Anyway thank you for the comments and have a nice day.
No worries. Might want to try posting your question on the JGC forum too if you haven't already just to get both camp's perspective. Maybe their welcoming wagon will be a little more, well, welcoming. Good luck.

I just switched from a JGC to the Explorer Sport. The Sport had better engine to give both the pep and fuel economy. I had the V6 JGC but had shopped the V8 while looking at the Explorer. I will note that I thought the interior of the JGC was nicer if you get the upper trim levels. It has nicer leather, better 4WD system esp with the air package to raise and lower the height slightly, and the stereo blew away my new explorer.

All that said I liked the features, ride, and looks fo the sport better so I flipped this way for this ride. The explorer is a bit roomier which is great for me having a kid.

And as for being a college kid with money I am with you. I was working for Johnson and Johnson while in college making 27 bucks an hour doing both lab and web design work for them throughout my years. I was easily making 45K a year with zero bills outside of gas, booze, women, and car insurance. I had college paid for...Do your thing and enjoy it now.

The only JGC I would have considered is the SRT version which blows away the ExSpo performance wise but also blows away the pocket book so I couldn't make that work... For me, the the choice of going to the ExSpo was sort of made for me as there were not any other alternatives that I physically fit in comfortably (I'm fairly tall @ 6'8" :) ) and that I liked the appearance of AND didn't cost $75k...

It's just that you came on here sounding extra ****y and usually when that kind of talk comes in, you will get people going, "What the heck?" There's no reason for you to post your age or personal information like that.

As for the Jeep Grand Cherokee or Ford Explorer, I really think a Ford Explorer is better. There's no point in having a V8 unless if it is the SRT. Like my recommendations above, you won't be towing so there is really no need for a car with a V8. In my opinion, the V6 does the job and it will save you more on gas.

Why don't you want to go with a smaller sedan? There's really no point in buying an SUV. Especially when you want something that will have better performance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

[MENTION=148975]1995E[/MENTION] No where in my post did I sound ****y just because I said my age? The reason I did that is because I would have thought you guys would see which one was better for a 18y/o, if you think I said my age to flaunt my status then I can assure you I did not mean it in that way all in all it's still no excuse for name calling on a forum highly inappropriate and childish sort of speaking. And the reason I want an SUV is because I want an SUV I don't want an economy or midsize car like every other teen. I work and I deserve what I want and need, but thank you for your time and comment, have a nice day.

Back