HOW TO: DIY CAI for 4.0 SOHC Explorer Sport | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HOW TO: DIY CAI for 4.0 SOHC Explorer Sport

okay, so, can I only get these silicone connectors online?! I cant seem to find any of them at my local stores. Do you have any cheap recommendations?

I get most of my silicone connectors through an online place called Silicone Intakes. Their website is HERE. I have been dealing with them for years and they have pretty good prices and selection compared to pretty much any other place online.

And how did you use the pipe insulation??? I am not quite getting it...

The pipe insulation is the grey foam piece that lines the top of the heat shield. It assists in sealing the heat shield to the hood.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good info Rocket! I think I went to about 5 stores to find the pipes/adapters I needed.

Good stuff!

I just seen your original post, pre-edit, this evening in my email. I have been real busy for a while hence my not checking emails lately. I don't know if you edited because a mod asked you to or if someone else answered your questions thoroughly enough to satisfy your doubt. But in the case you haven't received that response just let me know and I would be happy to answer in this thread. Good evening.

Great write up rocket! Im getting all the parts together to do mine. Looking at how yours is set up shouldn't the aluminum pipe be 3.25" so it will slide in the 3.5" 45 elbow and 3.5" reducer on the other side?

Great write up rocket! Im getting all the parts together to do mine. Looking at how yours is set up shouldn't the aluminum pipe be 3.25" so it will slide in the 3.5" 45 elbow and 3.5" reducer on the other side?

Silicone couplers are nominally sized based upon the outer diameter of the tubing they are supposed to hold. So a 3.5" silicone coupler has an ID of 3.5" to fit a piece of metal tubing that has a 3.5" OD. Remember that I said tubing and not pipe. The reason for this is because tubing size is rated by OD whereas pipe, which is rated upon its flow capabilities, is rated for its size of ID. Any tubing meant for exhaust or intake will be size rated based upon OD.

Ok that makes a lot more sense. I know it's an old thread but thanks for the reply. I was looking on that website for r all the silicone and noticed that have K&N style air filters on their website for considerably cheaper ($15) have you taken a chance with these?

Looks good, since most don't use heat shields thus not really CAI, yours is truly a cold air intake ) I just cut the front out of my airbox, reinstalled with a spectre high flow filter, instant cold air ,lol

Back