traveler

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB Explorer 5.0
A friend of mine has a problem withhis AC. Apparently the fan only runs on high. The Gen II explorer has a V6 (unsure of SOHC or not) and has auto climate control. It has frustrated him to the point of wanting to replace the climate control with regular air. Any thoughts or ideas? Could it be the same resistor problem that the standard AC systems are prone to?

Sent from my H866C using Forum Runner

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would say it is likely the blower motor resistor, a relatively common failure for the EATC. search the forum and you will find more threads and how to for replacement. I think they are about $50.

^ definitely. Common problem.

Manual A/C has a simple resistor ($12). Automatic A/C has "blower motor control module" ($80). Check amazon.com. You may have to change the pigtail as well

BTW -- there is no simple or easy way to swap between EATC and manual HVAC control systems. It's been done and write-ups exist, but suffice to say its a whole lot more work and $ than just fixing the system already in place.

The blower motor control is under the hood on the back of the blower housing. Very easy to replace, just can be somewhat expensive. Do a quick search will find write-up with pictures. If you have a u-pull nearby it may be worth the time to check for one. Just make sure when you pull it that the circuit paths are not flaky or corroded.

I relayed the info to him. He said that was very helpful. :) thanks for the tips.

Sent from my H866C using Forum Runner

Just like everyone said, blower motor resistor. Make sure he gets a new wiring pigtail too, every one I have needed to replace was so rusty it needed a new plug also.

Back