• Register Today It's free!

Quick ratio steering box

jrme

Reaction score
City, State
London Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer 2wd sport
Does anyone know if they make a quick ratio steering box for first gen explorers, and is there any benefits to using one, or any reasons not to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know if they make a quick ratio steering box for first gen explorers, and is there any benefits to using one, or any reasons not to.

How much quicker do you need it to be? One easy way to get slightly quicker steering is to go with a longer pitman arm.

Here is a photo of a stock pitman arm, a Skyjacker FA400 and a FA600. I am currently selling the FA400 for $50. You can see in the photo that it is a bit longer and will therefore steer quicker.

NpgXoMT.jpg

I just installed a steering quickener. It speeds up the steering by 1.5x. I love it.

I just installed a steering quickener. It speeds up the steering by 1.5x. I love it.

You installed this for street driving. Seems this could be real dangerous on the freeway..

I only ask cause I had one in each of my last 3 mustangs and was pleased with them.

You installed this for street driving. Seems this could be real dangerous on the freeway..

They are used in off road racing all the time.
Unless you have arms like Arnold Schwarzenegger I don't think you're going to break a quickener. Remember they are installed in the steering wheel shaft.

Oh i'm not worried about breaking the Quick steer. I'm more worried about breaking your body in a crash!. You answered that this is made for Off Road where the dirt is more forgiving to sudden turns. On the pavement I wouldn't like twitchy steering going down the freeway where a slight turn of the wheel could spell disaster.

Do you have a picture or link?? This is being used in your first gen explorer? ?

Back