97 Explorer wont start///electrical?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer wont start///electrical??

Bruegger

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT V6
Went out this morning to start the explorer and it cranks fine, the battery is very healthy but it had no signs of wanting to start. I removed the air intake tube and sprayed starter fluid but it makes no difference. I repeated this step couple times but nothing.

I therefore think I should rule out a fuel delivery problem.

Next is electrical...does anyone know what is the typical electrical item that fails suddenly?

Any help would be great.....Thanks

Search for the "no start procedure" and follow all the steps in order.

Couple things which stick out from reading here recently with cold weather;

Theft light on dash blinking rapidly? If so, PATS issue. People have said when it is really cold out, the PATS module with poor solder joints will fail until it is warm in the cabin.

Fuel pump making sound when you switch the key? Read somewhere in cold weather the fuel pump 'sticks' (for lack of a better word) and does not work until ambient temperature rises. Someone said 'hit the fuel tank near the fuel pump' did the trick until they replaced the pump. If it is running, do a fuel pressure test.

Outside of that, I would start searching for cold weather starting issues.

Well,

after reading into some older posts a little further, I found the crank sensor could be an issue. I tapped it lightly and the vehicle started. So I took the sensor off, cleaned some of the grease off and all seems to be fine now....we shall see...thanks for the info

Back