Plasti Dip Wheels + Puddle LED Install | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Plasti Dip Wheels + Puddle LED Install

Thanks for ordering my LED Puddle Lights Gator and glad you're happy with them.

My interior LED bulb pack for the Explorer is $18.00. Front map lights, 2nd row map lights. I am working on a conversion for the center LED dome lights, but it's going to take a while to come up with an effective solution and may be very costly. I have a lot of projects going right now and it may take a few weeks before I am able to come up with something.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Curious to know why the extra expense on the rear cargo light.

Curious to know why the extra expense on the rear cargo light.
Hi Azazeel64. The rear center dome light is not your standard dome light with just a regular bulb. For some reason, that I am still trying to figure out, Ford decided to design a dome light with technology used on the space shuttle. The dome light has an LED mounted to a very complex circuit board with hundreds of electronic components including a micro chip. I have tried just doing a straight LED swap, by removing the yellow colored LED and replacing it with a cooler white LED, but when I connect the upgraded dome light back into the Explorer, it blinks on and off.

I will have to do more research and experimenting to find the ultimate solution. It may take a while to come up with it. Stay tuned.

Lol there is another member on here that claims he has had success with swapping out the LED's, maybe he can give you some insight as I am waiting to finish off my interior install.

I'll try and find the post. No sense in me trying to reinvent the wheel.

*Updated Photos from my Vegas Trip*

8663228359_44fd01e8c7_c.jpg

8663229235_876058be18_c.jpg

Great photos XPLRTHIS! I need for you to take photos of my Edge! Might be time for me to take a little road trip out to California. Thanks for the nice write up on my LED Puddle Lights.

JohnBoytoo is absolutely right. It can be a low cost DIY project and certainly appreciate folks tackling the job themselves (Heck, that's the way I started out). My lights are meant for those who want a quick and easy plug and play product (Instant gratification). It has definitely been a successful business model so far.

Puddle lights LED

I know I can order LED on brightlites but honestly, they're waaaaaay too expensive... So I want to change them myself. I don't want to open the casing just to see what kind of LED I need, and open it again when i receive my lights. I know it's a T10 but what kind is the best for puddle lights??

mcjWIrUtco0nqCTYH3_HGhw.jpg

m4Tw68UIxLebvFD_-k-Cu3w.jpg

m3KfobckNZc4LO51-vuZWmA.jpg

1st, 2nd, 3rd or festoon?

If i need a festoon, what size do i need?

thank you!

I know I can order LED on brightlites but honestly, they're waaaaaay too expensive... So I want to change them myself. I don't want to open the casing just to see what kind of LED I need, and open it again when i receive my lights. I know it's a T10 but what kind is the best for puddle lights??
Welcome to the Forum GrimReefer.:wavey:
I am going to move your post over to the 'Modified' forum. There are threads there that may be of help.

Peter

mcjWIrUtco0nqCTYH3_HGhw.jpg

m4Tw68UIxLebvFD_-k-Cu3w.jpg

m3KfobckNZc4LO51-vuZWmA.jpg

1st, 2nd, 3rd or festoon?

If i need a festoon, what size do i need?
thank you!

Festoon 30mm however I'm sure 31mm would work as well.

Look here for more details http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383114

Do you think Plastidipped wheels are a worthwhile way to protect the wheels in the winter?
Many say it will just peel and scratch off from snow, ice, salt, slush etc...

But Plastidip is tougher than that.

...dont have much time...:eek:

just wondering if the plastidip last longer? how many can did you used for 4 rims? i believe you also used plastidip on that roof-rails and front grill? have you remove the grill when you spray? or just in place. thanks

I like the black roof rails too!

Back