Are They Building Them Yet | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are They Building Them Yet

Tremor2014

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
Anyone know if production has started yet? I don't see any news anywhere.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I read on another forum that Job One date was 4/20. If that's true they should be building them now. I hope that is the case, because I'm looking to trade my 2014 Jeep Cherokee and get a 2016 Explorer ASAP.

I'm assuming you mean the 2016? Production starts 5/4 so you should start seeing them at dealers in June as long as there are no major issues with them.

Soon!

I think the 5/4 date is correct for job one. However, I did see what I assume is a preproduction model out in the wild last night. I was pretty excited.
NoTTCXFl.jpg

89FLKnkl.jpg

2rrBBzZl.jpg

Yup.....The Manufacturer plates would be the first clue.

MP build

The first actual unit was built on 09/19/14 (vin GGA00024) a ruby red with black interior and 3.5 ecoboost. 226 2016's have been built so far, however, these are pre-production units.

The grill looks kinda funny . Probly just the picture but looks
Camouflaged .

I think the 5/4 date is correct for job one. However, I did see what I assume is a preproduction model out in the wild last night. I was pretty excited.
NoTTCXFl.jpg

89FLKnkl.jpg

2rrBBzZl.jpg

This one, 00068, was built 12/05/14, has the 3.5 ecoboost with fwd. here's the window sticker:

00068ws.jpg

Talking to the Ford rep on this site I was told that production has not changed from the 5/4 date.

wonder why that grill seems so odd in color when nothing else is camo'd?

wonder why that grill seems so odd in color when nothing else is camo'd?

Could be just because it's a preproduction as to why it doesn't have a finished grille - here's the engineering part number for the grille when it left the factory:

FB53-8200-AC (1GD3)

that makes sense since it was such an early build. thanks!

There are window stickers now

Noticed today that ford.com is showing some window stickers for some of the 2016 Explorer.

2016 Explorer Sticker

I had not noticed the EPA mileage for the new 2.3L I4 Eccoboost engine before. From the sticker it is 18 City /26 Highway /21 Combined for 4WD version.

Everything but the Platinum showing up. Hopefully, all the kinks will be worked out on the lesser models.

Noticed today that ford.com is showing some window stickers for some of the 2016 Explorer.

2016 Explorer Sticker

I had not noticed the EPA mileage for the new 2.3L I4 Eccoboost engine before. From the sticker it is 18 City /26 Highway /21 Combined for 4WD version.

I did notice on that Window Sticker it says My Ford Touch nothing about SYNC3.

Just cant see spending that kind of money for something you know is outdated before you even buy it.

I did notice on that Window Sticker it says My Ford Touch nothing about SYNC3.

Just cant see spending that kind of money for something you know is outdated before you even buy it.

Did you expect it to have sync3. I've been reading
Won't be available to 2017 ex model.
How is it outdated if they don't have sync3 yet?

Did you expect it to have sync3. I've been reading
Won't be available to 2017 ex model.
How is it outdated if they don't have sync3 yet?

Because you would be buying a new model year with a legacy infotainment system that you already know is now obsolete and can't be updated to the new SYNC 3 standard.

While other 16 model year products will likely launch with SYNC3

Many 16 Ex buyers who understand the difference are holding off.

Because you would be buying a new model year with a legacy infotainment system that you already know is now obsolete and can't be updated to the new SYNC 3 standard.

While other 16 model year products will likely launch with SYNC3

Many 16 Ex buyers who understand the difference are holding off.

If sync3 is available I don't understand why ford
Would be putting old obsolete system in some 2016 models.
I for one won't hold off for the new system , already
Sold vehicle that ex is replacing. I'm sure ford touch
Will be fine for our use. 2 of the doctors my wife works with
Love their systems in their 14 and 15 explorers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure part of it is supply, implementation and ideally QA acceptance of the new.
The new Edge is in a similar position that 3 is delayed a year into the new model.
Crazy I agree...

Back