How to tighten parking brake?

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
So after my brake job. My parking brake needs to go all the way to the floor or close to it to actually work. Is there a way I can tighten it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sure you don't want to hear this but just take it to a brake shop. You gave it your best shot, get them fixed properly, ask what you did wrong, and do better next time.

OP, I've never had to readjust the rear brakes for a tighter parking brake with all around disc brakes before so I don't know how to do what you're asking. But I've changed more than my share of pads and rotors on all kinds of vehicles as I'm a DIY kinda guy... My advice is to take it to a competent shop or the dealer and ask/watch how they adjust the parking brake and take notes. I do know that if the rear brakes bite a harder than the fronts do then it can make the vehicle want to swap ends on you when in drive. I've seen it happen on short wheel based vehicle's such as a Jeep Wrangler where the rear wheels locked up and the fronts didn't. The results were a 180* stop...

I'm thinking you should be able to repeatedly hit the pedal (ebrake) and it should firm up/adjust.

Have you put a new set of pads in the rear yet?

After replacing mine, including rewinding the pistons, I have no issues.

I'm thinking you should be able to repeatedly hit the pedal (ebrake) and it should firm up/adjust.

I agree. Also, verify your rear brakes are working with the brake pedal.

Have you put a new set of pads in the rear yet?

After replacing mine, including rewinding the pistons, I have no issues.

Yes I have. After putting in the pads, the brakes did feel loose a bit until I drove it and braked hard a few times and then the pedal feel became normal again. The parking brake also started working again after driving around, etc but it's just not as tight as before. It would take about 6 to 7 clicks (to the floor basically) before it can barely hold the Explorer parked on a hill, and if I put it into drive or reverse, it would slowly slide back unlike before where only 2 or 3 clicks was good enough to hold the Explorer in place on a hill. Just wanting to get it tight as before.

What I've discovered is that the parking brake is unlike previous parking brake systems where it has a separate mechanism to stop the wheel from rotating in the rear. Instead, it uses the caliper piston to press the pad on the rotor to work as the eBrake.

I'll take the advice and press and release the parking brake a few times. See if that helps. Then I'll go to a mechanic when I change my oil in 2 weeks.

My normal brakes work perfectly fine by the way.

What I've discovered is that the parking brake is unlike previous parking brake systems where it has a separate mechanism to stop the wheel from rotating in the rear. Instead, it uses the caliper piston to press the pad on the rotor to work as the eBrake.

I'll take the advice and press and release the parking brake a few times. See if that helps. Then I'll go to a mechanic when I change my oil in 2 weeks.

My normal brakes work perfectly fine by the way.
Glad you replaced pads and the braking is back to normal.

Give the parking brake a little time to readjust. Hopefully, it will just take a little time for the self adjust mechanism to recover after the prior changes.

OP. Not to beat up on you but you definitely angered the brake gods with whatever you did, particularly the retracting of the pistons back into the cylinders. You need to apply & release the ebrake a bunch of times to cycle the piston screw back into adjustment with the pistons.

Back