• Register Today It's free!

95 Engine in 1992 Explorer Sport

gscube

Reaction score
City, State
Altoona, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Sport
Just replaced my original engine in a 92 Sport with a 95. However, my mileage has dropped viciously, and the check engine light illuminates intermittantly. The KOEO does not provide a code. Other than the poor gas mileage and the light, everything seems to work great, any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what is vicaious? as in 14? if so welcome to the club. If it is 8 or somthing your computer is probably running really rich.

I am getting about 12-13... before the switch, I was getting closer to 20... why the big change??

Well right now i cant help you (i am getting 11). Just general tips...Restet the computer. Clean the MAF and the IAC. Plugs Wires Air filter check the exaust...

I hope you mean 20 mpg HIGHWAY, because it is simply not possible to get 20 mpg CITY with a 1st gen. If you got 20 mpg CITY, it would be a first in the history of the world, the history of this forum, and in the 4 of these vehicles I've owned.

12-13 mpg is fairly normal cool-weather city mileage for a the 4.0 OHV engine.

KOEO doesn't give a code, and yet your CEL has illuminated. That doesn't make sense to me.

Follow Up

My mechanic replaced the 1995 intake manifold with the original 92. i am now getting just over 20 mpg highway again. I wonder if just reseting the computer would have solved it though.

I do realise this is an old thread. I do have a question or two. Before putting the 92 intake one the motor, did you try swaping the edis6 icm from edis4 that originally came in the 92.

I have an old rebuilders guide for the 4.0 OHV, and it speaks to this issue.

Beginning in '95 Ford used a different head (called "95TM" or "fast burn" head) which had a different-shaped combustion chamber and different pistons. Running a 92 ECU with a 95 head/pistons usually didn't work out well long term, since the 92 ecu is not set up for the larger pistons and combustion chamber.

I think in gscubes case he has the 95 heads and 95 ECU so he should be ok, regardless of the manifold he's using. That's weird how the 95 mani didn't work out. The 4.0 guide I have doesn't mention upper intake manifolds.

It's also weird seeing my post from 9 years ago. But that's the beauty of this site.

Rhett thanks for the follow up... even after 9 yrs. LOL.

Benjammin, the answer to your question was no...

George

Back