• Register Today It's free!

Removing auto shift knob

jellomonk

Reaction score
City, State
Nor CAL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 5.0L EB
I've looked all over and I found a bunch of info on how to pull off a manual knob.

What I want to is, is there a way to unscrew or pull of the shift knob on a automatic?

I drive a Eddie bauer 5.0 1997. I Looked thought the service manual and it only shows how to remove the shift lever completely.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump, nobody's done this?

im pretty sure its molded ontot the shift lever

Is there any way to convert it to accept after market shift knobs?

i would go to boneyard and find one like yours,, chuck it up in a soft jaws vice,, break the knob off, find a know u like and make the stick fit your knowb, either by rethreading your stick or welding the appropriate bolt to ypur prepared stick, buck

sorry, i forgot about the multi function switch on that stalk, is your shifter on the steer column or console??? what kind of knob do you like??

It has an o/d button on the end and its on the shift column. I already have a knob and it came with adapters for like 3 different threads. M8, M10 and M12 thread pitch.

I was looking because I want to put an aftermarket knob on too. I was thinking about tapping the end and screwing a switch in the threads and hooking up the wires to it for the overdrive. I know the post is kind of old. Did you have any luck with it?

I think it's just pressed on the ribs at the end. The one on my XLT keeps working it's way off. I don't see anything that holds it on.

Back