So I picked up my 16 Explorer SPORT AND... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

So I picked up my 16 Explorer SPORT AND...

TinMan4154

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I absolutely love it. Handles and responds very well. Even at freeway speeds it is like gliding on air. This is my 4th Explorer and I by far think this is the best Ford has put out yet. Wish SYNC 3 had been put in it, but its really not that big of a deal. The looks of this vehicle are killer. It has the factory LED fogs so at night this thing looks incredible!

Bring home pic:
20151017_134046_1.jpg

Also... I got a hood deflector from the dealer, AND well I could not stand it covering up the EXPLORER hood badge so I took it back off.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great. What options? And yes I wouldn't want to cover up the hood lettering either. I know they make plastic sheets that go on the front of hoods and headlights. I wonder if anyone has something fab'd for the explorer with lettering.

It's got the 400A package with hands free lift gate, voice nav, and LED fogs as optional equipment. I thought my 07 EB Expedition was nice, but it doesn't hold a candle to this thing.

WOW!! That's nice. I agree with the "gliding on air" The ride is very smooth and quite. Can you give us some night shots of the factory LED fogs and low beam LED headlights on?

Looks AWESOME!! Nice choice!!

Oh my, now that is one beautiful SUV! I think black Explorers look the best, for all generations. White Explorers with black wheels and grille also look amazing to me.

I think that year looks a lot better than the previous year. Amazing how far just a little cosmetics can go. Is that the same generation as the previous year model technically, or just a refresh of the same gen?

I have a similarly equipped 15 sport, minus the hands-free lift gate. We love it. Recently drove 10.5 hours from SLC to Los Angeles, and back a couple days later. The ride was so nice I was able to get work done on my laptop during my wife's turns at the wheel. But I drove most of the way -- can you blame me? ;)

One of the most sensational things about the vehicle on this trip was that it never felt like a battle going that distance in a short time. The EX had all the power we ever needed, a smooth ride, stiff handling (in a good way), and comfortable interior. It was totally unremarkable at a time when most other vehicles would give cause. And I mean that in the best possible way.

Looks sweet!! Congrats! I just picked up my ingot silver 16 Sport last Monday and LOVE it so far. I also have the LED fogs, i wasnt even aware that was an option till I seen it at the dealer. Looks killer!

I absolutely love it. Handles and responds very well. Even at freeway speeds it is like gliding on air. This is my 4th Explorer and I by far think this is the best Ford has put out yet. Wish SYNC 3 had been put in it, but its really not that big of a deal. The looks of this vehicle are killer. It has the factory LED fogs so at night this thing looks incredible!

Bring home pic:
20151017_134046_1.jpg

Congrats on your new ride. Mine looks identical. I do notice a rattle near the moon roof recently so I am taking it in this weekend, so be alert for that. Run top tier gas and get a high quality full synthetic oil in there ASAP and you should have plenty of trouble free miles on the EB.

When you get a chance, can you snap some pics of the LED fogs? I want to see what they look like. Mine had the halogen fogs and I swapped them out for after market - they look ok but not a perfect match and functionally lacking vs the stock halogens. I am wondering if it is worth getting the stock LED's in.

I took a few different pics with the LED fogs on and off. Sorry for the crappy phone pics. I do not think the pics do the LED's justice. I could not get a good angle without them washing out the entire pic. The clear white light they put out to the immediate front and side of the vehicle is impressive to me.

Pics:
20151021_204651.jpg

20151021_204624.jpg

20151021_204645.jpg

20151021_205819.jpg

Very nice. whats your thoughts on the new shadow black color?

I love the new color. I always go black, but I really like the shadow black. It's hard to describe but the shine it has under the sun really does it for me.

Making me very jealous, as my ETA is around the 2nd week of Nov (same color).
Can you tell if the LED fogs are as simple as a bulb drop in, or the actual assembly is designed specifically for LED light output (similar to that of the LED low beam/night lights)?

Thanks for the link Peter.
I've read all of the posts in there an confused with the pricing, as it is listed as an entire assembly only and at a ridiculously high price.
Considering the Explorers comes with fog light (for halogens), it shouldn't cost anywhere near $1000; unless it is designed differently for LED only.

I mean the it was only a $150 option at the time of ordering the Explorer.

If someone can confirm that the entire assembly (consist of different reflectors, maybe has heat sinks, or fans, or special air ducts); then it likely is just a drop in LED bulb.

I love the new color. I always go black, but I really like the shadow black. It's hard to describe but the shine it has under the sun really does it for me.

Great!! Have a Platinum on order. Chose Shadow Black as well. Thanks!!

Thanks for the link Peter.
I've read all of the posts in there an confused with the pricing, as it is listed as an entire assembly only and at a ridiculously high price.
Considering the Explorers comes with fog light (for halogens), it shouldn't cost anywhere near $1000; unless it is designed differently for LED only.

I mean the it was only a $150 option at the time of ordering the Explorer.

If someone can confirm that the entire assembly (consist of different reflectors, maybe has heat sinks, or fans, or special air ducts); then it likely is just a drop in LED bulb.
There are many posts in that thread where members have just changed the bulbs. Not aware of anyone actually changing the whole assembly regardless of what the one post said. You have to turn the wheels all the way over to access the fog light and replace the bulb.

Peter

Back