• Register Today It's free!

Talk Me Into a New 16 Sport!!!

need-a-cage

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Rosa, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Okay, I need you guys to help persuade me to buying the Sport. We have driven a couple but passed because I was hoping they would get cheaper. Well, the damn incentives went down as they moved to Friends and Family pricing and I already had X-plan plus incentives so my price keeps going up. The first one was X-plan minus $1000 in incentives. The dealer has another one coming in for us. It is a Magnetic Sport with 401A and LED fogs. He still has to come down to the price we were quoted when the incentives were $1000 or I will keep waiting. It is just really difficult to find one of these without the moonroof and I don't want to pay $1500 for that. Another dealer said they would match the price and actually did locate one a couple weeks ago, but I like the idea of getting the one that is on order for us before anyone else even drives it. I also don't like these other dealers, but if I can save $750 I might have to go with them.

Okay, so other than price I am a little concerned with driver comfort, MFT, and a useless center middle row seat. Does anyone have an issue with how cramped the area is where you rest your left foot on the dead pedal? Our 02 and my truck just have so much more room over there. My 98 Ranger was roomier as well. Also, the Sport seats seemed to push in on my thighs a little. I didn't notice this when we drove the first one, but I did last time. We have driven 2 of them. Does anyone have an issue with this? I am not big, just a 185lb 5'9" guy, so it is not that I am big. My wife was comfy, but she is a little Asian gal. LOL. It will be her car, but we'll be using it whenever the family goes out and I'll be driving. I think I can get over the MFT being replaced because we won't screw with that stuff too much, other than using the stereo and heater functions. We only have 2 kids, so I am trying to ignore the useless center middle seat, but the kids have friends that use it a lot. I guess that will just give us more reason to use the powerfold 3rd row! The seatbelt design with the inflatable belts is just horrible. The receiver stabs the center passenger in the middle of each butt cheek and the belt is in the way of the outboard belts receiver. Horrible design. I also don't like that the armrest is pretty far away so I don't think I can steer while resting my elbow on the armrest, and you can't rest on the window sill because they are so high.

So, the alternative would be a Durango R/T or get something practical and get a Highlander or something like that. I am not sure how much better the ergos are in either. I have not driven either. I think a part of me would die inside if I got a Highlander. I really didn't want the Ex since it switched to a transverse motor, but I'll make an exception for the Ecoboost motor and SHO AWD setup. A buddy I race with just went 12.59 @ 105mph in his Ecoboost F150 with a tune. Crazy fast!

We drove a 2014 used Durango 3.6L V-6 AWD. My wife hated it, but it was a beat up prior rental. It was months ago so I need to drive one again because I don't remember the ergos. I just remembered it was a dog and even with 8 speeds, first gear was still too tall and it dogged off the line. I do like that it has the motor mounted the correct way and a traditional trans instead of a trans axle. I want to drive the R/T because the 3.6l wasn't fun. I am afraid that I might like it. I know I will love the sound of it, but I am sure the mileage will suck ass and it is not nearly as quick as the Sport, especially after I put a tune in the Sport. Our commute is all in town over a steep hill so I am sure the Sport will do more than only 2mpg better like the ratings show. I can get a Durango cheaper, but buying something rated at 14mpg city just sounds dumb, especially when I can get 16mpg and go faster at the same time!

Should I drive anything else or just be content with the Sport and overlook the few things I noted? Even if I liked the extra seating of a Highlander and how you can just open the rear glass on the hatch like our current Ex, I just don't think I can pass up the extra performance of the Ex Sport. I mean that thing is cool! There is nothing cool about the Japanese alternatives and the European ones cost too much. I think I have to either pic the Durango or the Explorer. I really want to stick with Ford. I will eventually go back to a Ford Truck and get an Ecoboost F150.

Sorry for the long post. This is killing me. I have never spent more than $22k on a vehicle! We drove the first Ex Sport in June, so I need to make up my mind and pull the trigger and move on to my next dilemma.

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have one and I ####ing love it. Not having the SYNC 3 was a concern of mine, it the current SYNC works amazing for me! I really have no complaints yet, besides im racking up the mileage like crazy!!

Go for it

Both. My wife and I love the looks and the power. I don't want to spend the extra on the Platinum, eventhough I like the gauges and my wife would like a lighter interior, but not too light because she didn't like the two tone interior we looked at. I like the wheels way better on the Sport and I thought the suspension felt good on the twisties. I keep showing my wife other colors and options, but she is dead set on the Magnetic Sport. She also doesn't like the looks of the Durango and neither do my kids. I am not sure why though, it looks pretty good to me. Of course, not as good as the 2016 Ex though. The Durango is just more of a direct replacement to our 2002. All of the Japanese ones just feel like Minivans and my wife doesn't like how they look, so that is good. LOL.

I really want to love this thing. It is just that there are few things that bug me and for $45k, $50k out here after tax and license, I want the vehicle to be perfect. Also, we'll be keeping it forever. We bought the 2002 used and have had it for 11 years, so this next one will be with us longer than that. I don't think any of that stuff bugs my wife though, and she'll be daily driving it so it is really up to her. The funny thing is that if I put a tuner on this thing and it runs 13.5 @ 100mph, that will be a fun, bad ass SUV to drive and I am sure that will really help me look passed all of my issues with it. I think they run 14.5 stock, and that is what my Mustang ran before I modified it! It is also quicker than my Ram which has headers, a tuner, cat back exhaust, and CAI. I really do like how it looks too. My wife loves how it looks "mean." She doesn't want a flashy red one which I also like, she wants a mean gray one.

Why not rent an Explorer for the weekend and see if (in general) it works for you and the family (might not be a sport rental) but would get the over feeling/space of an Explorer.

I was thinking about that. Might not be a bad idea.

It really would allow you to get more real seat time in the overall package that the Explorer is.

A few comments.

Regarding the dead pedal, I do wish it was further forward(towards front of vehicle) for more leg room. I really noticed it during the first couple months, but it's not as noticeable now(although there are times when I wish I had the extra room).

I can't comment on the middle seat space since I have the buckets with center console. I'm glad I went with them because it makes it feel bigger inside and I don't need the extra seating.

As for the door arm rest, that again annoyed me the first few months, but I've gotten used to it.

As I mentioned in a different thread, if the 3.5EB engine wasn't an option in the Ex, it would have been much lower on my list.

I think a weekend or even a day rental would be a good idea. It's too easy to miss things on test drives that you would otherwise notice.

I'm still happy with my purchase. I know I wouldn't be nearly as happy with a less powerful alternative.

I would definitely rent one for a weekend and long ride (at least 2 hrs) to see if the ergonomics work.

I'm 5'11" and find the seats the most comfortable of any vehicle that I've driven. With prior vehicles I would shift around a bit from time to time to relieve pressure points. No need for that with the Explorer. I can easily drive 5 hrs straight without having to stop and stretch. Also, the leg intrusion doesn't bother me either.

I opted for the bench seat rather than the two buckets. Whenever I sit in a backseat, I like being able to sit a bit sideways to stretch my legs or nap. Bucket seats tend to restrict that and leave your legs unsupported. My wife usually sits in the back on trips so she can work and having the middle seat allows her to put her work stuff there without having to worry about it falling off a console and between the seats.

I don't understand the issues that folks have with MFT. I think the layout is much simpler than other vehicles (more menu driven), with the 4 quadrants separating the functions. Mine works fine and the navigation has helped me avoid traffic problems in NYC and Wash DC many times. Bluetooth works well for phone, music and text messages. And the big 8" screen is nice too.

We also looked at the Highlander. The main reason for choosing the Explorer was the better looks (IMHO), and it wasn't shaped like every other SUV. Plus, I was getting the HID lights, which I like. And Toyota wasn't offering incentives when I bought my Ford in Jan 2015 (got X-plan + $1500 incentives).

Good luck....

I would not consider the Durango if I were you. Your alternatives could be Highlander / Acura / Infiniti. The gripes about the Ex are minor in comparison to the mechanical issues, safety issues and recalls on the Durango. Plus, the re-sell value is lower on the Durango and their 5.7 V8 HEMI feels like a boat anchor compared to the V6 3.5 EB, and it doesn't even have an 8 speed tranny like the Durango.

The 3.5 EB is so strong, and there's that fun factor. It does not feel as top heavy as the Durango - it definitely rides and corners better. I personally like the interior better on the Ex Sport with the accent lighting and red stitching on the seats. I noticed the Durango had many blind spots, even compared to the Ex.

I also have the 2nd row buckets and find them attractive and practical (easy for my gf to access the back on long trips). I am about your size, and it took me a minute to get used to the seating arrangement, but now I am not bothered by it. I always rest my left foot on the little pedal area there. There is no comparison on the looks, IMO the Ex Sport takes that hands down.

In regards to MFT, I really love it. With the updates to previous versions, there are virtually no issues. I think the Sync3 may be a bit overhyped with the color arrangement and bubbly, generic looking fonts.

Things like front and rear cameras with washers, auto fold mirrors, BLIS.

Mechanically, the Explorer drive train is tried and true. Because of all the electronics, though, I would consider an ESP. I got an 8 year 125k ford premium care (bumper to bumper) for $2,100 with 1st day rental.

All in all, I have had mine since June, and I look forward to driving it every day.

Good luck on your selection.

Okay, I need you guys to help persuade me to buying the Sport. We have driven a couple but passed because I was hoping they would get cheaper. Well, the damn incentives went down as they moved to Friends and Family pricing and I already had X-plan plus incentives so my price keeps going up. The first one was X-plan minus $1000 in incentives. The dealer has another one coming in for us. It is a Magnetic Sport with 401A and LED fogs. He still has to come down to the price we were quoted when the incentives were $1000 or I will keep waiting. It is just really difficult to find one of these without the moonroof and I don't want to pay $1500 for that. Another dealer said they would match the price and actually did locate one a couple weeks ago, but I like the idea of getting the one that is on order for us before anyone else even drives it. I also don't like these other dealers, but if I can save $750 I might have to go with them.

Okay, so other than price I am a little concerned with driver comfort, MFT, and a useless center middle row seat. Does anyone have an issue with how cramped the area is where you rest your left foot on the dead pedal? Our 02 and my truck just have so much more room over there. My 98 Ranger was roomier as well. Also, the Sport seats seemed to push in on my thighs a little. I didn't notice this when we drove the first one, but I did last time. We have driven 2 of them. Does anyone have an issue with this? I am not big, just a 185lb 5'9" guy, so it is not that I am big. My wife was comfy, but she is a little Asian gal. LOL. It will be her car, but we'll be using it whenever the family goes out and I'll be driving. I think I can get over the MFT being replaced because we won't screw with that stuff too much, other than using the stereo and heater functions. We only have 2 kids, so I am trying to ignore the useless center middle seat, but the kids have friends that use it a lot. I guess that will just give us more reason to use the powerfold 3rd row! The seatbelt design with the inflatable belts is just horrible. The receiver stabs the center passenger in the middle of each butt cheek and the belt is in the way of the outboard belts receiver. Horrible design. I also don't like that the armrest is pretty far away so I don't think I can steer while resting my elbow on the armrest, and you can't rest on the window sill because they are so high.

So, the alternative would be a Durango R/T or get something practical and get a Highlander or something like that. I am not sure how much better the ergos are in either. I have not driven either. I think a part of me would die inside if I got a Highlander. I really didn't want the Ex since it switched to a transverse motor, but I'll make an exception for the Ecoboost motor and SHO AWD setup. A buddy I race with just went 12.59 @ 105mph in his Ecoboost F150 with a tune. Crazy fast!

We drove a 2014 used Durango 3.6L V-6 AWD. My wife hated it, but it was a beat up prior rental. It was months ago so I need to drive one again because I don't remember the ergos. I just remembered it was a dog and even with 8 speeds, first gear was still too tall and it dogged off the line. I do like that it has the motor mounted the correct way and a traditional trans instead of a trans axle. I want to drive the R/T because the 3.6l wasn't fun. I am afraid that I might like it. I know I will love the sound of it, but I am sure the mileage will suck ass and it is not nearly as quick as the Sport, especially after I put a tune in the Sport. Our commute is all in town over a steep hill so I am sure the Sport will do more than only 2mpg better like the ratings show. I can get a Durango cheaper, but buying something rated at 14mpg city just sounds dumb, especially when I can get 16mpg and go faster at the same time!

Should I drive anything else or just be content with the Sport and overlook the few things I noted? Even if I liked the extra seating of a Highlander and how you can just open the rear glass on the hatch like our current Ex, I just don't think I can pass up the extra performance of the Ex Sport. I mean that thing is cool! There is nothing cool about the Japanese alternatives and the European ones cost too much. I think I have to either pic the Durango or the Explorer. I really want to stick with Ford. I will eventually go back to a Ford Truck and get an Ecoboost F150.

Sorry for the long post. This is killing me. I have never spent more than $22k on a vehicle! We drove the first Ex Sport in June, so I need to make up my mind and pull the trigger and move on to my next dilemma.

Thanks!!

After reading your thread and considering that you already have many issues with the new EX, maybe you should keep what you have and pass.

On the other hand, overcoming the short comings of the EX maybe easier than you think. I'm 6'2" and have no issue with the dead pedal, for example. But, I'm also not concerned with needing to stretch out my legs. It's something I don't even think about, truth be told. Mine has the N/A 3.5L as well. I have no issue with it's power, it has enough for me and I came from a '13 Mustang GT. I understand the desire to have that kind of power at your disposal but, it shouldn't be the only positive you find in buying an Ex.

If you find you can't overcome the issues you've stated, maybe it's not worth buying just for the power plant. :dunno: :salute:

Thanks for the info. I do really want to get it. Here is the one we drove in June. The next one arrives in 4 weeks and it has the LED foglights.

Either that or sell the 93 for the new GT350! I would much rather do that, but I would have to sell it in the divorce!! What I really need is to win the lottery so I can get rid of all my vehicles and replace them with this Sport, the GT350, and a 4wd Ecoboost 3.5 F150. I only need around $170k! Damn, that is more than I owe on my house!

I vote side car for your bike then you won't need a cage.:D

Is the Sport the only trim level you're considering?

Yes, the Sport is the trim we want. We actually drove a 2.3 Turbo XLT to see how it felt, but they only had a front wheel drive. I didn't even realize that until my wife took off on an uneven road and it was wandering all over the place at moderate acceleration. I was like, damn, this one is not AWD. Now my wife knows why I HATE front wheel drive. It had a ton of torque steer on the uneven pavement. The AWD in the Sport felt pretty good. It seemed to kick power to the rear wheels quickly when you give it some throttle, which would minimize torque steer. I am hoping a tune may make it even better if they get more aggressive with directing power to the rear wheels.

We may drive this today, just to see how it feels. Hopefully my wife will hate it like she hated the beat up 6 cyl 2014 we drove.
http://www.autoworlddodge.com/new/Dodge/2015-Dodge-Durango-b2db51170a0e0ae874fe26cd69bd3d23.htm

It has too many options though and costs too much. I just want to see how it feels. We did drive an MDX that my brother-in-law had as a loaner, but it was also FWD. That motor had tons of power but it sounded and felt like a minivan. My wife didn't like it either, so it is out. She also thinks they are very ugly. I did really like the motor. Power felt pretty close to the Sport and got mileage like the 4 cyl. How do they do that? It was rated at 290hp, but the 1/4 mile ET is a second quicker than the 290hp Explorer. It must be light.

IMHO, you should look at an Edge Sport also. They come in FWD and AWD so if you want AWD make sure you're driving an AWD.

I wasn't sure when I got my 15 EX Sport so I did a 3 year lease, If I was to do it over I'd do a 2 year lease with nothing down. The thought is that if I don't love it I get something else when the lease is up and if I do love it I buy a newer model.

FWIW, I had a F150 with the 3.5EB and just like the EX Sport it hit a point where it seemed to gain a large amount of torque. Like one day I put my foot down and "where did that come from?". It was at about 18K on the F150 and about 7K on the Ex. They both got better MPG with some miles on them too.

The Durango, 14mpg city :( If I was at the Jeep dealer I'd be looking at a Hemi Grand Cherokee or a Wrangler. The HGC is north of 60K I think, so maybe not the Hemi...

I just sold a Durango RT and bought a 16 EX Sport. I bought the EX solely because of the Ecoboost performance. I hated the enemic performance of the 5.7 Hemi as it comes in the RT. Dodge missed the boat on this one, because the Hemi is a pretty good performer in everything else They put it in.
Not much You can do to improve the RT's performance, tune it and go 15's in the quarter. Get the RT if You don't mind being passed by Prius's.
The cramped drivers foot well in the EX annoyed Me at first, but I don't notice it anymore.

How is visibility in the Ex vs the Durango? I know, how can I sacrifice better mileage to go slower! Kind of a no-brainer to skip that one. Was your R/T a 2014, or did it have the old trans. The 8-speed will make it much better, but it is still a 15.0 vehicle and you have to buy an entire new computer plus the programmer if you want to flash the 15 model. So, the Durango would not even get a tune.

I thought the trans would make a huge difference so we test drove a 6 cyl about a year ago. Even with 8 speeds, they still have 1st gear way too tall. I think the 8-speed is 0.5 seconds quicker in the 1/4. Not a lot, but there should be more speeds that the trans has the motor in the sweet spot when you try to take off. My truck has pretty good power, but that old 5 speed trans with 2 overdrives has HORRIBLE gear ratios. It is a truck, shouldn't it be geared for towing? No, even with 3.92's in the back it goes 45mph in 1st and 83mph in 2nd. Oh, and it has this stupid 2nd prime thing, where if it downshifts to 2nd it has an even higher raitio. It will go over 90mph in 2nd when you downshift to it. It pulls really well from 25-45mph and from about 65mph to 85mph. Any other speeds it doesn't put the motor in the sweet spot. Above 30mph it won't go into 1st, so you have to wait for 65mph before it pulls hard. That is why I want an ecoboost F150 after we pay off our Sport.

My wife killed me last night. I told her we should just get the Sport and not even look at the other cars. The things that bother me don't bother her and it sounds like everyone that had the same issues as I do got passed it. However, she then tells me, "but my Explorer drives better." I was like, are you freaking kidding me? Then why are we spending $50k? I told her that the new one obviously drives better so I made her elaborate. She just said that she likes the open feel of hers more and how it feels more roomy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I understand where she is coming from. Visibility in the Ex is not good. Rearward visibility is almost delivery van like, it gets worse when the back window gets dirty and you only see through the area wiped clean by the rear wiper. However, with a backup camera and BLIS I don't see that as problem after getting used to it.
Forward visibility may be a problem if she is short, if she has not raised the seat as high as she can, have her try that. If that doesn't work she'll feel like she can't tell where the front bumper is and the blind spots created by the high window sills are unnerving.

Back