Rear Barn Door Conversion and other major mods | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Barn Door Conversion and other major mods

nimblemotors

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer 5.0
I'm planning on building a custom 2001 Sport.
One of the big modifications I'm thinking of will be changing the rear door to a pair of barn doors.
Anyone know of or can point to what's involved in this modification?

I will also be chopping the roof down 3-4 inches, so major body work already being done..

Thinking of doing it like the Ford Excursion, with three doors..

2001-ford-excursion-xlt-rear-view-with-all-doors-open.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure what's involved but I do wanna see how this beast ends up.

Subscribing.

Not to be a Debbie downer, but if you don't have an idea as to what making barn doors is gonna take... well you probably aren't capable. Honestly I wouldn't attempt it; without alot of welding, fiberglass, and fabrication it just isn't gonna work or look right.

Also, what's the reason for chopping the roof? Just cosmetic?

Not to be a Debbie downer, but if you don't have an idea as to what making barn doors is gonna take... well you probably aren't capable. Honestly I wouldn't attempt it; without alot of welding, fiberglass, and fabrication it just isn't gonna work or look right.

Also, what's the reason for chopping the roof? Just cosmetic?

i have to agree with him on this. not saying it cant be done, but its going to be a hellova lot of work. that and chopping the roof, major work. if you can do it, more power to you however. i know one of the things i have been kicking around if i have to redo mine is suicide doors as well as a cowl hood, but not chopping the roof or barn doors.

I'd like this vehicle to drive and haul stuff and advertising for Nimble Motorsports. Might also make it a panel truck and lose the windows.

If explorer owners think it would be ugly and boring, then perhaps another vehicle is a better choice, like maybe a Chrysler product....

pt46.jpg

The way to do that would be to cut the back of the Expedition off and stitch it to the back of the Sport.

I don't know how you'd do the chop with that though.

I'd like this vehicle to drive and haul stuff and advertising for Nimble Motorsports. Might also make it a panel truck and lose the windows.

Panel side Explorer I slopped up on Paint from a discussion I'll have to dig for...

panelexp.jpg

exp2.jpg

exp3.jpg

exp3.jpg

Also someone else did a ranger tailgate with the top half of the explorer hatch , that gets you halfway there add in the hardware from the excursion , and if I was going to chop it id also tilt the rear hatch in a few more degrees at the top

Also someone else did a ranger tailgate with the top half of the explorer hatch , that gets you halfway there add in the hardware from the excursion , and if I was going to chop it id also tilt the rear hatch in a few more degrees at the top

This was sorta my first thought as well. Take the tailgate off of a Ranger and fab up the top half of an Explorer hatch and match them up. Requires a little engineering, a little planning, a little body work, and a little luck.

And a little beer.

subscribing....

pic edit chopped lowered panel

Here is photoshop of what I'm planning on doing to the explorer, chop, lowered, panel.

bI8Yyv0

bI8Yyv0.png

latest

The latest photo edit. I've got the interior and windshield out, about to start cutting the roof off tonight.
I've got a 2012 front headlights and grill end that is going to be merged into the 2001, and a set of 2014 20in wheels as shown.

I'm also putting in a 5.0 V8 as well in this one.

yY7ByiP.png

Looking forward to this build!

api-model-year-image.ashx

Make me think of the Ford Flex.

I'm getting the vibe that you just want a different vehicle and should start out with one.

I'm getting the vibe that you just want a different vehicle and should start out with one.

Yeah, I want a 2014 Explorer. Would you please send me $35,000 so I can buy one, instead of building one that is a full-frame truck and more interesting?

^ There are better candidates than either. If you don't have the money, does it make sense to throw thousands into special rear doors on a vehicle worth less than the cost to do it?

In the end it is an economize Ford Ranger pickup platform with a lot already piled on. The handling is mediocre, the ass end heavy and prone to sag w/o any cargo, and you want to make the rear heavier.

Chopping the top is one thing, but IMO the rear doors go far and beyond reasonable for an Explorer. Get a 2001 or even one with salvage title, Excursion with those doors if that's what fits the budget.

The Excursion you pictured is a 2001. The difference in value between the Explorer and it is lower than the cost in materials and time to put doors on the Explorer. Makes no sense...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^ There are better candidates than either. If you don't have the money, does it make sense to throw thousands into special rear doors on a vehicle worth less than the cost to do it?

In the end it is an economize Ford Ranger pickup platform with a lot already piled on. The handling is mediocre, the ass end heavy and prone to sag w/o any cargo, and you want to make the rear heavier.

Chopping the top is one thing, but IMO the rear doors go far and beyond reasonable for an Explorer. Get a 2001 or even one with salvage title, Excursion with those doors if that's what fits the budget.

The Excursion you pictured is a 2001. The difference in value between the Explorer and it is lower than the cost in materials and time to put doors on the Explorer. Makes no sense...

Pffft, ok so go ahead and YOU don't build it. I don't need your advice, thanks.

Back