Exterior Door Handle (plastic to metal) Conversion? > YES! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Exterior Door Handle (plastic to metal) Conversion? > YES!

turblown

Reaction score
City, State
Buckeye, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
1998 Explorer XLT V8 5.0

My mother in law's exterior door handle broke... again. I don't want to have to keep replacing this plastic handle. I would prefer to convert it to a metal one. I think I remember reading that others have replaced 98-01 Explorer door handles (plastic) with 95-97 Explorer door handles (metal). Can someone confirm that these earlier metal door handles are an exact match for the install? Any one created a how-to for this conversion? I was thinking about replacing all four exterior door handles using Dorman 90023 or just getting a full set from 1AAuto. Your feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Dorman fitment guide says they don't fit the '98-'01.

The Dorman fitment guide says they don't fit the '98-'01.

Dorman wants to sell door handles that meet OEM specifications. Since Ford makes a flat metal handle for '95-'97 and a less expensive raised plastic handle for '98-'01, Dorman does the same. Their guide simply shows that the '95-'97 flat metal handle is not the same look or material that the OEM specifies for '98-'01 Explorers. Since even the Dorman raised plastic handle is prone to failure, I would prefer a flat metal handle as opposed to matching the stock look. The question I'm asking is, even though they are different looking and made of different material, are they they same measurements with regards to installation on a '95-'01 Explorer door?
  • Here this question was already asked with no response.
  • Here is a post that sounds promising. Explorer_Pat or 410Fortune any input?
  • Here is the post that makes me think it is possible. Amigodana can you tell us how you did it?

I have spare metal ones that I can measure and post dimensions, if that might help. PM me if so. It might be a few days though...

What a timely coincidence. I was just down at the local U Pick and finally found an Explorer with the same unusual exterior paint code as mine ("BA"- Light Prairie Tan). Unfortunately, it was a '97 and my Explorer is a '98...and, without paying close attention, I pulled two of the handles and brought them home only to discover they were different. So, I too, am wondering if they can be swapped. From observing a broken '98 handle I had lying around, the hinge mechanisms are very different...but, the mtg holes line up. I plan on heading back over to the U Pick tomorrow and find out for myself if they can be interchanged before I tear into my own truck. I'll post my results.

Okay...I did learn a little more about interchangeability of different year exterior door handles. I was able to confirm that '95-'97 metal door handles will mount on '98-01 doors. In fact, I measured the openings for both and they are identical. Mtg holes line up as well. The other thing I noted is that the latch linkage had different bend contours. Due to time constraints, I was unable to confirm whether the linkage was interchangeable and compatible with the location of the latch connection clip. So, more research is needed...although, I find it hard to believe Ford made any changes to the latches between these years. It just may be that a person needs to use the linkage that came with the '95-'97 handle. At this point, I feel confident enough that I can get the '97 handles to fit my '98...and as such, I brought home the other three to complete a matched set of four with my exterior paint color. I guess my next step will be to pull a latch from each style of handle and compare to verify they are the same. Will update when I can get more information.

Did you also get the 95-97 linkages?

I have put the plastic ones in my brothers 97 so the opposite should work

I'll tell you what...after comparing to the quality of the metal ones, I don't know which Engineering genius at Ford thought that those plastic ones were a good idea. What a piece of junk...

At this point, I feel confident enough that I can get the '97 handles to fit my '98...and as such, I brought home the other three to complete a matched set of four with my exterior paint color. I guess my next step will be to pull a latch from each style of handle and compare to verify they are the same. Will update when I can get more information.

Looking forward to the outcome!

I have put the plastic ones in my brothers 97 so the opposite should work

Good to know!

Shoulda told me... coulda pulled some...

I know you would have. Until this thread I had no idea there was such a thing as a metal door handle for explorers. :dunno:

The metal ones don't snap off like the plastic ones but the springs still break allowing them to flop up and down and this tends to screw up other things with time

Confirmed today that the latches ARE the same...so, it's safe to assume a person will probably need to utilize the handle linkage used on the '95-'97 if swapping those handles onto the '98-'01 because of the different bend contour. And, while I know the springs do break on the earlier models, they still look more substantial than on the later models...and, I'd be willing to bet they don't break as often.

Confirmed today that the latches ARE the same

This is great news! Thanks for the follow up. Any pics?

it's safe to assume a person will probably need to utilize the handle linkage used on the '95-'97 if swapping those handles onto the '98-'01 because of the different bend contour.

This is a bit concerning as my intent is to buy NEW black '95-'97 metal replacement handles for a direct install. I'm hoping the '98-'01 handle linkage is similar enough that it will not matter or that it can be slightly modified to fit. Any pics?

I'm a bit confused with my initial findings regarding the latch link rod off the '00 Sport being different than off the '97 XLT I was scavenging at the yard. I made another trip the other day and pulled a handle/pwr lock/latch ass'y off a '00 XLT and, when I got home, found that the link rod was the same as the '97's I had pulled previously. It was also from this '00 XLT that I had compared the latches and found it to be the same as the '97 XLT. I can't explain it; unless the Sport has a different setup.

I'll tell you what...after comparing to the quality of the metal ones, I don't know which Engineering genius at Ford thought that those plastic ones were a good idea. What a piece of junk...

Think about how much money is saved by using cheaper (I would guess) plastic ones. Explorer sales were over 400,000 each year from 1998-2001. Even saving a buck would be huge.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I made another trip the other day and pulled a handle/pwr lock/latch ass'y off a '00 XLT and, when I got home, found that the link rod was the same as the '97's I had pulled previously. It was also from this '00 XLT that I had compared the latches and found it to be the same as the '97 XLT.

Proof enough for me. I'm going to order new metal handles and perform the install.

On a side note, do the yellow linkage clips tend to break during door handle replacement? I'd like to order them ahead of time if they are going to be an issue.

Back