Remove front driveshaft on AWD Mountaineer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remove front driveshaft on AWD Mountaineer

PeteD, don't let that driveshaft removal intimidate you! If you can change a tire you do this! One tip: find a way to mark the alignment of the shaft with the mating yoke (if that is what it is called) on the front diff so that it goes back in exactly as it was before you took it out.

It really is pretty easy to do. I had never done anything like it before and I had it out in less than 30 minutes.

Get that tool that you need, though. Also, do it when the vehicle is cool. You'll be working right near exhaust pipes that you might have to put your arm on to remove a few of the bolts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also, wanted to mention I did make a post describing more of the bearing/hub issues I have had and why I am feeling this is very serious- 6 months ago I actually had my rear wheel snap off at the axle due to a previous bearing failure. Post is somewhat lengthy but here it is:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3382292#post3382292

I greatly appreciate any imput

Hi PeteD. My mounty had, what I thought, the hub skipping the axle but I may have been somewhat wrong in my assesment. I have no way to get the truck into the air to test it all out but I am thinking now that instead of the wheel hub / axle skipping, the problem was inside the transfer case itself and was caused by a stretched xfercase chain.

I found out the hard way one afternoon through catastrophic failure of the gearbox. I was driving down an alley leaving a restaurant and all of the sudden my front axle froze solid like I hit the front brakes all by themselves without ABS. I stopped, tried to move the truck and it would only move in reverse. I backed into a parking spot and got underneath to try to figure out what happened. I was in for a surprise.

I had my spouse attempt to move the truck back and forth while I watched and listened. Then looked at the transfer case. To my shock, a quarter of the case housing has disappeared. I had her move the truck a few more times while I watched the gears inside with fascination and wonder at my new delima. All of the sudden an end of the xfercase chain spilled out of the opening. I grabbed it and worked it the rest of the way out and was able to drive home. On the drive home. I noticed all of the noises had stopped and the steering was much more free than it ever has been and there is a noticeable decrease in torque from the loss of the front wheels driving. The tradeoff now is I have to find a new transfer case and get it installed asap. This rig is my only one and was my daily driver. Bicycling in the winter in the pacific NW is not difficult but it sure can be wet.

Edit: the brown wire mod will not work on an AWD explorer or mounty because the drive system is purely mechanical. There is no brown wire, or any wire, to modify for two wheel drive.:roll:

Rubbing noise when turning and backing up

I have a 2002 Mercury mountaineer AWD, when I turn sharp or backup and turn sounds like it binding! Can I remove the front drive shaft and be ok? Is there also a fuse to remove? Please help! Thanks

Take the front drive line off. Your viscous coupler has failed causing essentially full time 4 wheel drive. Removing the drive line we'll help but search this forum about it before you jump in because there are things to watch out for after its out.

Hi PeteD. My mounty had, what I thought, the hub skipping the axle but I may have been somewhat wrong in my assesment. I have no way to get the truck into the air to test it all out but I am thinking now that instead of the wheel hub / axle skipping, the problem was inside the transfer case itself and was caused by a stretched xfercase chain.

I found out the hard way one afternoon through catastrophic failure of the gearbox. I was driving down an alley leaving a restaurant and all of the sudden my front axle froze solid like I hit the front brakes all by themselves without ABS. I stopped, tried to move the truck and it would only move in reverse. I backed into a parking spot and got underneath to try to figure out what happened. I was in for a surprise.

I had my spouse attempt to move the truck back and forth while I watched and listened. Then looked at the transfer case. To my shock, a quarter of the case housing has disappeared. I had her move the truck a few more times while I watched the gears inside with fascination and wonder at my new delima. All of the sudden an end of the xfercase chain spilled out of the opening. I grabbed it and worked it the rest of the way out and was able to drive home. On the drive home. I noticed all of the noises had stopped and the steering was much more free than it ever has been and there is a noticeable decrease in torque from the loss of the front wheels driving. The tradeoff now is I have to find a new transfer case and get it installed asap. This rig is my only one and was my daily driver. Bicycling in the winter in the pacific NW is not difficult but it sure can be wet.

Edit: the brown wire mod will not work on an AWD explorer or mounty because the drive system is purely mechanical. There is no brown wire, or any wire, to modify for two wheel drive.:roll:

It seems like you suffered the same issue that I am currently facing with my 1998 AWD 5.0 Explorer... I've seen no physical damage to my Transfer Case, but if the Chain is Stretched or Broken inside, would it prevent the Front Axle from turning?

It seems like you suffered the same issue that I am currently facing with my 1998 AWD 5.0 Explorer... I've seen no physical damage to my Transfer Case, but if the Chain is Stretched or Broken inside, would it prevent the Front Axle from turning?
Turning with steering, Or while driving?. If your front axle is locking up in one or both directions, you likely busted the chain

Turning with steering, Or while driving?. If your front axle is locking up in one or both directions, you likely busted the chain
Turning, as in while Driving... It goes in reverse fine, just locks up when in drive.

Sounds like the chain broke
Okay, thank you. I'll look into that & let you know the result.

Is there a Supplier of required VC Transfer Case parts that you would suggest?

Back