2003 Mountaineer - AWD - Transfer Case Noise? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Mountaineer - AWD - Transfer Case Noise?

philbert57

Reaction score
City, State
minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a 2003 Mountaineer, 4.6 w/AWD. When I back up or go forward with the steering cranked hard, I get a big clunk type noise.

I'm assuming my transfer case is shot.

I should be able to remove the front driveshaft to eliminate the clunk, correct?

New axle, new links, ball joints good.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Positive it's coming from the front?

Just for grins, inspect the rear sway bar bushings to see if they disintegrated. While at it check the sway bar links. Check the front sway bar too. Sometimes a clunk can be the sway bar loose and hitting the frame/brackets. Especially when turning as it's the sway bar's job to hold the other side down.

Positive it's coming from the front?

Just for grins, inspect the rear sway bar bushings to see if they disintegrated. While at it check the sway bar links. Check the front sway bar too. Sometimes a clunk can be the sway bar loose and hitting the frame/brackets. Especially when turning as it's the sway bar's job to hold the other side down.
Sway bar links are good. The noise is definitely from the front.

Don't forget the bushings.

I had same symptoms and it turned out to be a failing transfer case.

Removing your front driveshaft comes with its own problems, as the AWD system not only distributes power between front and rear but also the car's braking ability.

If you decide to remove front driveshaft to "solve" the problem, ensure your emergency parking brake operates well, and always use it when parked.

Thanks. I was not planning on "fixing" the issue by removing the driveshaft, only to narrow down if that is indeed the issue.

I ran it without the front driveshaft for about a year....had a bad plunge joint, replaced the joint but the replacement was off-center so I had one heck of a vibration. I got lazy and didn't repair it for a while. I had no issues with braking.

Back