Reliability of the 5 speed transmision in a 2000 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reliability of the 5 speed transmision in a 2000

whdahel

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Mountaineer <--- 5.0
Hello, I'm looking at a 2000 explorer limited. it has the 4.0 and a 5 speed auto trans. how reliable are the transmissions ? ? I had some one tell me to stay away from the early 2000s
is there anything I should look for??
Is it the same trans as my 99 Mountianeer withe 5.0 and awd?? thanks for any input.. also I did search but didn't find the answer I was looking for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not the same trans as your 5.0.
Your 5.0 has a reliable transmission capable of 300 000 miles, the 5r55 attached to the 4 liters is much less reliable.

The 5 speed can very by use, but in my experience about 120k or so. I'm on #2 and I have 150k. Most rebuilds will cost more then the vehicle it self. This is why there everywhere cheap. If you can past the trans and the timing chains on the SOHC , it's a great truck.

I had my 5r55 rebuilt twice. Once at 140k and again at 240k. It has 250k on it now. I think that is way too early for a transmission. A light truck should go 150k-200k before a rebuild is needed. I shopped around and got $1600 for the second rebuild including hard parts TB, TC, and gears.

I just had my 2000 tranny rebuilt and it was at 247K miles. This was the second time in a year as the shop that did the first rebuild use cheap parts and it never worked correctly after they rebuilt it.

Back