• Register Today It's free!

5R55E slip

Big_Pezzy

Reaction score
City, State
San Bernardino CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
well, it finally happened. My tranny slipped earlier today while I was getting onto the freeway. I assume it was between 2nd & 3rd gear because I was probably around 40mph. I felt that I wasnt accelrating as usual and heard my engine revving higher than normal. I looked down and it revved up around 3200. Once it decided to actually switch gears, the jolt that happened felt like I hit a bump in the road. I was unaware that this is common until I got home and did a little research. I'm assuming I have the 5R55E since I have an 01 sport. But I am here to ask for any advice you all can give to me. This is the first time my tranny has acted up in anyway and I would like to know what I should do before it gets too late. Any input will help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fluid at the proper level?

Also it would be a good idea to have the vehicle scanned, trouble codes can help identify what type of problem you may be dealing with.

I have an SCT X4 which can scan codes. Nothing came up.

I have not checked the fluid level. I'll check in the morning. It is possible since I don't know the last time this thing even had the fkuid changed

Fluid level was fine. It wouldn't hurt to change it. It has not slipped since the initial incident

Back