2017 Explorer Sport - The new family truckster | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2017 Explorer Sport - The new family truckster

I have a feeling it's probably from the same source since they're both smaller than the factory badge. I've had mine since Fri and was waiting for the trunk and hood emblems to install at the same time. Probably could have waited for the other one and pay half the price. haha

Here's what it looks like against the stock badge behind it.

View attachment 95227

Thanks for the pic. Yep same badge, crazy the price difference!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I see a trend here, I also bought an Explorer Sport for my wife, same as the OP!
Nice! congrats! Nice fleet you have there in your sig! Is the powerstroke stock? I'm a huge fan of oil burners.

Someone needs to take the internet away from me. These little mods on the family hauler are fun and easy , so its practically instant gratification.
Ordered up a 3 bar map, roof rack cross bars, and a rear bumper cover/protector (already saw a scuff from my boys just dragging hockey bags out of the cargo area and over the bumper)

Livernois has my ECM strategy, etc. , they say 24-48 hours turn around for tunes. I am hoping to have the tunes tomorrow so I can enjoy them this weekend.

Is the 3 bar map part of the tune? Is it an added and extra cost feature on top of the tune? I had emailed them about it and Dave A just said "we would do a tune for the 3 bar map..." so not sure what that means.

Also, did you use instructions posted elsewhere on here on how to remove the hood/trunk emblems or did you just went at it yourself? If it's the latter, can you tell me how you did it? Just wondering if it's different from what others have posted.

Someone needs to take the internet away from me. These little mods on the family hauler are fun and easy , so its practically instant gratification.
Ordered up a 3 bar map, roof rack cross bars, and a rear bumper cover/protector (already saw a scuff from my boys just dragging hockey bags out of the cargo area and over the bumper)

Livernois has my ECM strategy, etc. , they say 24-48 hours turn around for tunes. I am hoping to have the tunes tomorrow so I can enjoy them this weekend.
Did you get the bumper cover that goes over the lip or the OEM one? Covering the lip would be important to protect it from hockey bags, especially those with wheels.

Peter

Is the 3 bar map part of the tune? Is it an added and extra cost feature on top of the tune? I had emailed them about it and Dave A just said "we would do a tune for the 3 bar map..." so not sure what that means.

Also, did you use instructions posted elsewhere on here on how to remove the hood/trunk emblems or did you just went at it yourself? If it's the latter, can you tell me how you did it? Just wondering if it's different from what others have posted.

No 3 bar map allows higher boost, it's an additional cost. You don't have to add it, but it's cheap so why not. Then once you have it livernois will build you a tune to take advantage of the hardware change.

I've debadged many many vehicles. I use the same method most do, hair dryer to soften the adhesive up, and fishing line or string to cut through the adhesive that holds the badge on. To remove the left over adhesive, I either roll the adhesive off using my fingers if it's soft enough (which explorer was) or I've used a 3m eraser wheel to remove it on other more stubborn vehicles like my pickup. The sport badge was a snap. The ford badge was a PITA!

Btw goo gone or similar products can be handy to remove any adhesive residue.

Did you get the bumper cover that goes over the lip or the OEM one? Covering the lip would be important to protect it from hockey bags, especially those with wheels.

Peter

2011-2016 Ford Explorer Rear Bumper Protector Guard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BLVK2ZA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_FcSIybMS4T99F

Ordered this one. It covers the edge, so hopefully it helps! Yes our bags have wheels.

Not sure I'm going to like the look of it, also considered 3m film but this looked like it would take more abuse.

2011-2016 Ford Explorer Rear Bumper Protector Guard https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BLVK2ZA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_FcSIybMS4T99F

Ordered this one. It covers the edge, so hopefully it helps! Yes our bags have wheels.

Not sure I'm going to like the look of it, also considered 3m film but this looked like it would take more abuse.
That's the kind I was thinking of. I had the OEM on my 2011 and it did not cover the edge. The aftermarkets weren't available yet. Haven't put one on my 2017 yet. The age group I've been coaching the past 8 years is 18 - 20 so no need to drive any of them. Been at it now for 48 years.:D

Peter

That's the kind I was thinking of. I had the OEM on my 2011 and it did not cover the edge. The aftermarkets weren't available yet. Haven't put one on my 2017 yet. The age group I've been coaching the past 8 years is 18 - 20 so no need to drive any of them. Been at it now for 48 years.:D

Peter
48 YEARS! That is awesome. Good for you.
I will post some pics so you can see the fit and finish when I install it later tonight or tomorrow. Need to wash the Explorer first.

No 3 bar map allows higher boost, it's an additional cost. You don't have to add it, but it's cheap so why not. Then once you have it livernois will build you a tune to take advantage of the hardware change.

I've debadged many many vehicles. I use the same method most do, hair dryer to soften the adhesive up, and fishing line or string to cut through the adhesive that holds the badge on. To remove the left over adhesive, I either roll the adhesive off using my fingers if it's soft enough (which explorer was) or I've used a 3m eraser wheel to remove it on other more stubborn vehicles like my pickup. The sport badge was a snap. The ford badge was a PITA!

Btw goo gone or similar products can be handy to remove any adhesive residue.
How much is the 3 bar map? I don't see it on their website.

For the badges, I thought the front one is held on with some screws? Someone else posted that they had to have a friend pull the grill out a bit for them to reach behind to unscrew it.

How much is the 3 bar map? I don't see it on their website.

For the badges, I thought the front one is held on with some screws? Someone else posted that they had to have a friend pull the grill out a bit for them to reach behind to unscrew it.
http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP630000 $75. For some reason it doesn't show when you sort by the Xsport. It shows it fits up to 16, so I assume it fits 17 too. When speaking to Livernois they did not tell me it wouldn't fit when we were discussing the tunes and my intentions.

Front one is held on with two nuts. I did it without assistance. I removed the plastic fasteners, and removed all the bolts on the top cover. Just like the post your referring to, I pulled the top of the grill out slightly. Using a 1/4 drive ratchet, and a 10mm socket I was able to squeeze my hand back there to loosen the nuts, and remove the ford badge. I then reinstalled the top cover, cleaned the grill and slapped on the new stick on black ford badge.

Front one was easy IMO compared to the rear one. I had multiple attempts to remove the rear over the course of several days. I thought for sure I was going to damage the tailgate removing it. I saw many reviews stating it was held on with adhesive, which it is, but the clips that retain it were what I was fighting the entire time. I then finally found a post on this site that showed what I was dealing with. Once I understood what was back there holding it on, I knew I had to pry harder. I was very glad I had the tools I did, I ended up using these.

https://www.amazon.com/KINGLAKE-Pan...1485539291&sr=8-1&keywords=plastic+trim+tools

The post I read stated they used a letter opener (cringe) ...I couldn't do that, even if the area is being covered with a badge, I wish to avoid paint damage. These plastic tools for $7 I've used for a number of projects where I am trying to avoid damage.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks so much for the details.

No problem. make sure you post pics when completed:pics:

Nice! congrats! Nice fleet you have there in your sig! Is the powerstroke stock? I'm a huge fan of oil burners.
it's 100% stock as far as the drivetrain goes, all mods are suspension related and lighting related. It get used a ton for towing my fifth wheel.

IMG_2859_zpslew8wkns.jpg

the mustang and GN on the other hand are plenty modified.
2015-09-27%2010.21.45_zpsrrorloxv.jpg

IMG_2725_zpscoahtlux.jpg

it's 100% stock as far as the drivetrain goes, all mods are suspension related and lighting related. It get used a ton for towing my fifth wheel.

the mustang and GN on the other hand are plenty modified

Great looking rides! I'd love to own a GN, T type, or GNX someday.

Black trucks FTW!
6839877D-DEE2-48F7-AC44-3CE9C14C7236_zpsscgli9vf.jpg

Looks great! Congratulations, and good choices on the cosmetic changes.

This should do the trick. Hopefully the adhesive is strong and it stays put!
C1657C93-EA64-4BDA-82C6-A1BBD17B70BE_zpswl8kaknx.jpg

A926996B-41ED-4B1A-A9F2-8BECA8FA0A2F_zpsrxuytsmy.jpg

e5e3b8ac-e7e6-4074-8d65-06f2a1d61c9b_zps6nz52cek.jpg

OEM crossbars...
1114FEC8-DEE0-4E73-9D9E-1E83CE4BC08B_zpsp2e3bshh.jpg

And a few shots to prove it has left the garage....
2888da35-2c59-41e1-9a5f-44e5b7e2eaaa_zpst5udz5xt.jpg

a907e311-9a8e-456d-9685-cced115fef24_zpsozicjyqh.jpg

Also worth noting....I tuned the Explorer Saturday night. I am running the 93 perf tune. I put about 100 miles on it Sunday running errands and to hockey practices. This thing is quick!
I'd probably be more impressed, but I daily drive a 500hp pickup, so diesel power has kind of spoiled me. It is deceivingly quick though, its so smooth and quiet, before you know it your doing speeds that lead to jail time. My wife has commented several times, that the power can/will be dangerous.

Your Explorer looks great and thanks for the links for the items you added. I've been wanting to do these mods but waiting to pull the trigger. Your photos convinced me to pull it now...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Magnetic. Good to hear, hope you post pics when you get your mods installed!

Back