• Register Today It's free!

side step removal?

CHAZOR

Reaction score
City, State
Fredericksburg va
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford explorer EB
So i have a 99 explorer eb Im thinking i want to remove the side step and Ive been reading you can use the xlt side plastics can anyone confirm this? also what are they technically called? Im having trouble finding them

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you can use the plastic thingies. No idea what they are called. I took mine off and didn't do anything about the holes. I don't even notice them.
CF3416BE-DF21-4996-8BDB-BDF4D4DAC318.jpg

So i have a 99 explorer eb Im thinking i want to remove the side step and Ive been reading you can use the xlt side plastics can anyone confirm this? also what are they technically called? Im having trouble finding them

They are called running boards, and yes you can take them off easily. Get an impact and a ratchet for the hard to get to bolts, get on the ground underneath, and start taking off brackets and bolts. Each side is held on by L brackets and a bunch of bolts.

I ripped off running boards on my 98 EB to get a little more ground clearance on sides, and to make the truck look more aggressive.

yea I have a friend who has the xlt but it doesn't have running boards just the plastic trim.

Yes you can use the plastic thingies. No idea what they are called. I took mine off and didn't do anything about the holes. I don't even notice them.
What roof rack/basket is that its something like I've been looking for btw i love you ex also what front bumper :D

Rocker Panel Mouldings

What roof rack/basket is that its something like I've been looking for btw i love you ex also what front bumper :D

Rack is a platform rack from Eezi-Awn. I got it at equipt1.com. Transferred it to my Expedition though.

Bumper is custom by a local guy.

Thank you all for the feed back I did end up finding them as rocker panel trim. I had no idea plastic would be so expensive lol. Any way there is a build thread upcoming to go through all my experiences so far with my explorer. I love the truck but gas is eating me alive lmao.

Back