vroomzoomboom

Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 supercharged 347 sport
so here is what i am thinking of doing. i have a 98 explorer sport with a 4.0L SOHC. it didn't have too many options from factory, but i have added some (auto dimming mirror, overhead console, cruise and tilt). i am thinking of putting a ETAC into it. now the questions. first off, i hate electrical stuff, but i have to learn it (nothing is built like a 81 merc capri anymore). i know you cant easily put in a ETAC, unless you change the wire harness in the truck, which is what i am prepared to do (that and what ever stuff i have added can now be replaced with factory wire harnesses). will i be better off finding a 98 SOHC harness with what i want in it, or can i use different years that had different motors without any problems. when i do this, i also plan on putting in a message center as well (found one from a 98). with the message center mentioned, i knew i needed one for the year of truck i have, BUT can i use a ETAC from a 95-97 truck? the reasoning behind that is i have changed all the lights in mine to blue L.E.D.'s and 95-97 years where as close as i can get for being blue, and not the god awful green as i called it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to bump and ancient thread, but did you ever figure this out? I want to take the EATC route too so I'm wondering how hard it is, as there aren't any decent how to's. I'll make one myself if I end up doing the swap.

never did do it. way too much wiring, and added parts you would need. didnt think it was worth it

I've got a 96/97 EATC also that I hope to swap in, if it will work in the 98-01's. I know the 98+ EATC's have a difference in the voltage control circuit, like an e-fan that have pulse modulation versus simple relays or pots. I'd like to find an expert with the EATC's to say what would be needed to make it work. Or else I'd swap just the display face onto the 98-01's, those are supposed to be the same except for the color.

If the dash harness was still an idea, I think if you stay with the model range(95-97, 99-01's, or the 98 which has some differences from before and after years), go with the full option harness to swap in. Just be sure it matches for 4WD if that is needed, or figure out what few extra wires the 4WD takes.

I've got a 96/97 EATC also that I hope to swap in, if it will work in the 98-01's. I know the 98+ EATC's have a difference in the voltage control circuit, like an e-fan that have pulse modulation versus simple relays or pots. I'd like to find an expert with the EATC's to say what would be needed to make it work. Or else I'd swap just the display face onto the 98-01's, those are supposed to be the same except for the color.

If the dash harness was still an idea, I think if you stay with the model range(95-97, 99-01's, or the 98 which has some differences from before and after years), go with the full option harness to swap in. Just be sure it matches for 4WD if that is needed, or figure out what few extra wires the 4WD takes.

There's some info on the car domain website. You should be able to find it if you google "Ranger EATC Car Domain" or something similar. It talks a lot about the 95-97 differences. But most of the pics are gone, as are the rest of the pages.

That's where I think I learned some about the EATC, that and the TCCOA forum. Bob there has a Ranger with most available options for the Explorer, with a Torsen diff, heated seats he added etc. He's been a member here too, great mind and contributor.

Reactions: 239

That's where I think I learned some about the EATC, that and the TCCOA forum. Bob there has a Ranger with most available options for the Explorer, with a Torsen diff, heated seats he added etc. He's been a member here too, great mind and contributor.

So that's who "bob" is. I think the easiest way at this point for me, would be to take the dash off an X at the junkyard and then trace were the wires go. Shouldn't be too difficult aside from the work of removing the dash.

Here's a picture of the back of a 99 dash, where I was adding the ARC wires from a 98 Limited. There are a ton of wires in that harness, and they are wrapped tight. Tracing wires is a tough job.

Projectthread062.JPG

Here's a picture of the back of a 99 dash, where I was adding the ARC wires from a 98 Limited. There are a ton of wires in that harness, and they are wrapped tight. Tracing wires is a tough job.

View attachment 95326

Yeah it looks rather involved. Someone on here did the swap and they said all it took was running a harness to the blend door actuator, and then running a couple of wires to the blower motor. I just need to see which wires they were referring too.

That was Eric here, and his 99 Sport with a Mountaineer front grille. I think he was the first on EF to do it, a little after Bob who wasn't a member here yet. I think Eric documented what he did well, hunt for those threads of his.

Umm, long time since I posted ... But I have the text content from the car domain write-up on the EATC install. It was another project that I didn't get to but I gathered all the parts and even did the dry run test and posted a vid to utube. If you would like text conversions of the web pages from CarDomain I would be happy to share them with anyone. I see to remember giving files to DJDOM as well. Not sure if he is still around though.

Also,
albi1cnobi1added EATC to one of his rigs a few years ago... looks like he is still rumbling around as well.

Back