Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

rglisson34

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 ST
Hello guys, I bought a brand-new sport Trac in 2006 and loved the thing! Sadly I sold it in 2008 and have regretted it since. I am now looking at getting a 2001 and I was hoping y'all could give me some guidance of common issues To look for when test driving. Here is what I know about the truck right now:

- Job 2
- 196k miles
- tranny slip between 2nd & 3rd
- still used as a DD
- $1,500

Owner says that a trans shop advised him to drive the truck until the trans quits. Will this put added pressure on the engine that I need to address? Also I found another transmission for $225 is there a write up in this forum for transmission swaps? I appreciate any help and advice I can get!

OH! And the truck also has the common O/D flashing light...

I would have to really appreciate the body, and the engine would have to be spotless and make no noises at all to take that risk. Call two local transmission shops and build in the price of replacing the tranny into your budget before agreeing to it. If it stops running salvage price is going to be $500 tops.

Cant imagine your going to get a transmission that will let you sleep well for just $200 some bucks. Heck if you do a complete fluid change and use a quality filter your pushing near $100.

IMHO I'ld plan on a QUALITY overhauled transmission. Pull it once. Reinstall it once.

With 196k on the S/T I'ld be REAL concerned about the engine timing chain issues.

What isthe condition of ALL the body bushings? More than likely they have rotted away by now.

Cant think of any other MAJOR concerns on the older S/T's

Back