4.6 Engine replacement -Atlanta area | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4.6 Engine replacement -Atlanta area

ROBinGa

Reaction score
City, State
Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4 4.6
Just when I think I've gotten the 2003 XLT 4.6 4WD back in good shape the engine started making a serious rattle yesterday. My unscientific diagnosis says the metallic rattle is coming from the front passenger side and is under timing cover. The engine runs ok but that rattle is scary. I fear timing chains and cassettes. The engine has 160,000. I talked with shop I trust and discussed a new Jasper engine for correct VIN replacement. Its a bit more than I expected but it would buy 100,000 mile 4 year no fault warranty.

I haven't checked out replacing timing chain or rebuild cost yet. At this point my logic is to try and make this buggy last my son through senior year then college. Aside from the now rattling engine it's a fully loaded vehicle in very good shape cosmetically and otherwise. I would rather sink the $$ in something we like and know than buy another used vehicle that would frankly be a step down at same money. There is no way I'm buying a newer low mileage used vehicle for 2-3 times the cost of the engine.

Does anyone know of an alternative in Atlanta area they may have used or thoughts on a shop? I've asked for prices from Powertrain who sponsors here and another web based engine rebuilder. My shop only installs Jasper which is ok, just want comparisons. I wouldn't mind talking to a shop to check out rebuilding mine so any thoughts there as well? I do not want to consider buying a used engine. Want this car to go another 4-5 years to get him through college. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll buy your engine for $350.

Does it rattle at start up or while running period?

If it's at start up, press the gas pedal to the floor when first cranking, count to three or so. This will prime the tensioners without letting the engine start.

If it's occurring while running, stop driving it or you will be putting in a new engine.

This is a job you can do yourself. Labor is usually around $800 and the kit $300 when having a shop do it.

My timing started to rattle at 150k, it now has 190k on it after replacing the guides and tensioners.

It definitely continues while running. It has been parked since Monday when I heard him drive up, but he said it's made this noise for awhile. I'm getting prices to have the timing chains job done but really leaning towards new engine. Thanks icepick for the videos which I had seen before and always like 1aauto stuff. I don't have the desire like I did on the intake manifold to tackle this job. That was fun but at the limit of what I can do with my basic tools and two car attached garage.

If the rattle is the only issue and it drove fine otherwise, let me know how much they want for the core.

Did you have to put spark plug thread inserts in this one? Don't remember who that was.

No spark plug inserts. From what I'm told the core is required both by my shop I'm getting quotes and also the Ford dealer. By the way Ford dealer price is very close to the independent shops I've priced and it's a genuine Ford engine with 3 year unlimited mileage warranted by Ford. I'm getting it towed to actually be diagnosed versus just my ears telling me where rattle and knocks are coming from.

Tyler something (past member) had his 4.0 rebuilt / rebuilt 4.0 put in by a Ford dealership for chains. Was a nightmare of problems post install. Either way, you are getting a .30 over rebuilt engine. Just don't assume who installs it makes a difference. See who has the better warranty.

They want the core because it's not included in their price to you, even though they've been billed for it. Core costs are usually between $300-500.

Yep you are correct they will be returning my core less components like the A/C, power steering , intake manifold, TB, etc... which will reinstall. New water pump, belts, hoses, plugs and coils come with install kit.

I've always wanted to tell a bunch of guys while drinking beer that my engine is bored 30 over (or anything over for that matter)!

Update - so one of the shops who was quoting me the engine replacement encouraged me to bring it to them before we replaced the new engine so they could look at it. They actually had ordered the new Ford engine and I dropped the vehicle off on Sunday. I was prepared for the full engine replacement. Mid morning on Monday they called and said no way do they recommend replacing engine - let us do a timing chain kit replacement on your engine they said. It was almost $5,000 difference in cost. They were able to get Ford dealer to restock the engine and ordered the full timing kit. On Thursday of the same week they called and said come get your Explorer. It runs like a dream and now it's been almost two weeks with zero issues so far. Just wanted to report back what happened.

So two things I am pleased to say:
1. The local Ford dealer where the engine had been sourced told me the other shop had contacted them to order it and it would be the same exact engine whichever one installed it. The Service Manger there I usually deal with said that the other independent shop had great reputation and said the difference would be labor rate and he would understand if I didn't use dealer
2. The independent shop after diagnosing it did a great job of repairing only what was wrong and saved me a lot of money. Anyone can PM me and I will share the shop names in the Cumming, Ga area if you are interested.

So far so good

Good deal, post the shop name if you recommend them.

Scott's Automotive on Ga Hwy 141(Peachtree Pkwy) in Cumming, Ga is the shop. Very well known in the area

Back