• Register Today It's free!

Ridiculous parts prices?

Jon M

Reaction score
City, State
Mount Pleasant, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
So, I'm missing the little rubber mat that goes in the front cup holder. I stopped by the dealer, because I was having trouble finding the part number.

The parts guy about choked, and actually paused twice, before telling me that is $68!

Yes, $68 for a 3" rubber circle. He did a quick search and the best price he found was on eBay, at $31. I guess I'm going to be paying a visit to LKQ pull a part and hope they have a wreck I can pick.

Any other stupid prices you've run across for parts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My mirror assembly was over $1200 CDN.

So, I'm missing the little rubber mat that goes in the front cup holder. I stopped by the dealer, because I was having trouble finding the part number.

The parts guy about choked, and actually paused twice, before telling me that is $68!

Yes, $68 for a 3" rubber circle. He did a quick search and the best price he found was on eBay, at $31. I guess I'm going to be paying a visit to LKQ pull a part and hope they have a wreck I can pick.

Any other stupid prices you've run across for parts?
I'm guessing parts that aren't a 'run of the mill' aftermarket item are likely to cost more than those produced in larger quantities. If it were me, I wouldn't bother replacing it or make my own.

Peter

That's nothing. When I was looking to find a dash harness for my ranger so I could convert it to power doors, I found it on motorcraft.com (parts are now fordparts.com). $370 for harness which isn't too bad but it was the core charge that got me:

steal.jpg

That's amazing!

And I was mad about a $512 passenger front window.

$512 passenger window! WTH?

Yeah I wouldn't have even bothered checking because postage alone would be near the high end of the scale on what I'd be willing to pay unless it was only $3 USPS.

Cut it out of a generic floor mat, sheet of rubber, whatever. You can probably find cheap floor mats at Big Lots or another of those odd lots dollar store type places, or of course there are junk yards for the genuine part, hobby/craft stores for rubber sheeting.

Seems like one of the old mom 'n pop local hardware stores around here sells neoprene rubber matting by the foot, or at least did a few years back when I bought some there.

I had a Mazda Navajo which was nothing more than a heavily optioned better interior and color Explorer. I would go between Mazda and Ford and there were huge price differences on part prices. It was a 1992 and everyone around that year remembers the infamous center console armrest cracking. I think Fords price was 1/2 of Mazda's though. E-Bay is my best friend for parts! Go on E-Bay as they have lots of places that sell complete interior liner sets for a lot less than any dealer.

Get a cheap foam mouse pad and cut out a circle from it.

Back