Cowl hoods | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cowl hoods

I work for Mcneil Racing. i can make a cowl hood happen if there is enough interest

You should start a thread to gauge interest.I know it would be nice to have a FUNCTIONAL hood.Meaning the back be open to let hot air pass thru when driving.It should be a 2 step cowl.Meaning it steps up one time and then steps up to the cowl when you look at it from the side.It seems a wide cowl looks best thats not to tall but just tall enough to look good from the side.You know what i mean.When cowls get to high they start to make the vehicle look like clown car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That last one is Eric's, his truck is a 99 Sport with a 302/AWD in it. He was one of the first to do the Mountaineer conversion to an Explorer, and it looks great.

The one before I think I may have seen, but the grill section looks smaller than stock. I like that too. That was the only thing I didn't like about the Mountaineer, the large gaudy chrome grille. I can live with the painted version of it, and that looks even better.

My wife says the stock chrome mountaineer grill adds a older look to the vehicle.Not good.The painted version make the front look more modern like todays vehicles.I agree.The painted version just makes the front look complete.The chrome grill makes my truck look like its from 1990.

I'd say that red one is made from a chrome grill that they painted everything but the vertical bars. I might have to try that too, and see which would look better.

For the hoods, I wish there was enough demand for aftermarket hoods. There have always been one or two choices, but not much demand to push for other choices. I love the F1 Cobra hood, which used to be hot on F150's etc, but they only made that one Ranger version. I think the Ranger has slightly smaller scoops, but I could only make a deal with a company which only did the bigger F150 hoods. I paid for the top skin for one, sent to me in three pieces to save shipping. I had a friend who was an expert in body work and fiberglass, I was hoping he would be able to build me one from my hood. I've lost track of that friend, he had several personal issues with family. I hope to find him again soon.

Is like to see some good options for our trucks also. I like cowl hoods but I haven't seen one yet that fits the lines of these trucks! I painted my grill 2 tone also because I thought it kinda set it off. Mine is a bright red 2 door with the mounty front end swap and I de-chromed the whole she'll and painted it the factory red then I shot the center with satin black to match the bumpers. The emblem is red still so it really pops. I can't upload a pic from my phone

I love my Saleen Composite Carbon Fiber hood.

There was another for sale on Ebay recently

IMG_0807.JPG

I always loved them too. They looked great on the mustang as well

There you go, find one of those easy to get Mustang hoods, and cut it up for your Explorer hood.

Say Jim, what did that hood on eBay recently cost, if you noticed?

There you go, find one of those easy to get Mustang hoods, and cut it up for your Explorer hood.

Say Jim, what did that hood on eBay recently cost, if you noticed?

I think they were asking $1500 or $1600

Keep in mind, even buying it at that price is just the beginning. I found with mine that the original coat under the paint was so/so and I've heard that most of them are that way (if you are picky at least). I had the whole thing completely redone and it came out much better than original. Then of course I had to have it painted the pearl white since none of them ever came in that color to begin with

Yes, I figured if the used hood could be had, it'd take $2-300 minimum to refinish it. Working with that CF or glass would take a very experienced body man too. I have a roll of CF from long ago, I hoped I could use it for a final layer over a modified hood. I haven't heard from my old fiberglass expert in three years also, he may be gone.

lol at the listing.HE JUST HATES TO LET IT SIT AROUND ha ha ha ha.Sure doesn't hate to sell it for top dollar and not offer to ship it at all.

He can easily get that. Unobtanium. Since it is so rare, I wouldn't want to ship it. Would be worth the drive if it came down to it. Fortunately I didn't have to pay that much (or drive as far) for mine!

98 MERC is correct....FiberConcepts still makes cowl hoods for the Explorer/Mountaineer and yes, shipping is pricey. The cowl hood looks great on my vehicle!

SAM_07671_zpsatvns70w.jpg

Looks good. What does your front emblem say? Looks different than Ford. What year is your Saleen?

Thank you! It's a '99 and the emblem says "SALEEN".

The hood you have is from fiber concepts ? I tried to get a pic from them and they said they couldnt find one.LOL.I was like what ??? and i thought to myself ok you want me to buy a hood from you and you cant even show me how good the quality is ? or what it even looks like ???

The hood you have is from fiber concepts ? I tried to get a pic from them and they said they couldnt find one.LOL.I was like what ??? and i thought to myself ok you want me to buy a hood from you and you cant even show me how good the quality is ? or what it even looks like ???

Hopefully their current product quality is better than their customer service.

Yes, I bought the hood from them. I'm not sure who you spoke with but the guy that helped me was very nice and always answered any of my questions that I had. Ask to speak with Rob. As for the pictures....He said that item was not a top seller like their other hoods, so they didnt have any photos of it. I basically took a chance when I bought mine and it fit nicely! I'm really happy with mine. But I would suggest to the company that once they finish a new hood, save some photos of it to show the next customer that is interested.

I would definitely have bought that hood had I not found my Saleen CF Composite hood. What sort of extra clearance do you get with the cowl? Good to know there is an option for that sort of thing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was curious of the extra clearance too.I also would like to know if its functional cowl.

Back