• Register Today It's free!

Window Weather Stripping Scuffed

TinMan4154

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
Just noticed the rubber weather stripping on the bottom of my windows are extremely scuffed up and it looks like crap when the sun hits it. Is this a common issue or am I the only lucky one? Will be contacting the dealer to get these replaced ASAP.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't believe you are the only one. I recall reading another post about a similar issue. Although Ford allows a week to point out any issues with a new vehicle, I agree with bringing it to the attention of your dealership as soon as convenient.

Peter

The rubber moldings on my 2014 Sport are the same way, though it has nearly 50k miles. Not entirely sure how that happens. Though I think the previous owner may have brought it to the car wash a lot. I brought mine through a car wash the other day for the first time (I usually hand wash it) and the rubber looked even more scratched than before. Maybe I just never really noticed it, but that could be a cause.

I only hand wash it and the dealer did not wash it prior to me accepting it. Came from the factory this way. Dealer has already ordered replacemends for me. Both front windows, and the very rear curved pieces on both sides were scuffed. Wield that the full rear windows were near perfect...

i guess I should have brought this up before hitting 36,000 miles. We ordered ours and took delivery before dealer washed it. They were bad from day one. It was noticeable at time of delivery. I mistakenly assumed my salesperson or someone who "received" the vehicle would have made note of it for me. I had never ordered a vehicle before and assumed this was just the way it was and/or would clean up when I washed it. It didn't get better. live and learn. Ford Quality.

They are replacing mine right now while it's at dealer for exhaust smell issue. No questions asked. They did bust one of the rear quarter windows though and had to replace the glass also...

So I picked up my explorer today and found my rear quarter glass stripping looking like this. I do not remember it having this gap before. The service advisor said it's not a issue. Does anyone else think this acceptable?

1qoT8Lp.jpg

jI0gmXm.jpg

So I picked up my explorer today and found my rear quarter glass stripping looking like this. I do not remember it having this gap before. The service advisor said it's not a issue. Does anyone else think this acceptable?
So I rolled the rear windows down and pushed on the shinny plastic part and the rubber molding and it seems it just wasn't seated properly. It's still not 100% but looks 10x better than the pics. Seems they were just sloppy and in a hurry not taking time to fully seat everything...

So I rolled the rear windows down and pushed on the shinny plastic part and the rubber molding and it seems it just wasn't seated properly. It's still not 100% but looks 10x better than the pics. Seems they were just sloppy and in a hurry not taking time to fully seat everything...
Are those pictures of the rear doors? I can't find anything on mine that looks anything like those windows. What is that 'extra' thin panel of glass? The Explorers don't have that if it's where I'm thinking the picture was taken of.

P8310466.JPG

Are those pictures of the rear doors? I can't find anything on mine that looks anything like those windows. What is that 'extra' thin panel of glass? The Explorers don't have that if it's where I'm thinking the picture was taken of.

View attachment 150639
i think I see it in your pic, and you have some bunching there also. TinMan's pic is just much closer up. upper right hand in your pic. the thin guide is between two weather strips running vertically? I found a pic of mine from last December and it's noticeable too. Though, I've never noticed it before this post...

i think I see it in your pic, and you have some bunching there also. TinMan's pic is just much closer up. upper right hand in your pic. the thin guide is between two weather strips running vertically? I found a pic of mine from last December and it's noticeable too. Though, I've never noticed it before this post...
Okay, I got it. I thought that thin piece was glass instead of the divider (guide). That 'bunching' is due to the weather strip continuing over the window guide.
Thank you.

Peter

Back