Upgrading From Base Radio to 6 CD Changer Radio? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading From Base Radio to 6 CD Changer Radio?

willied

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT V8
So my current stock radio (part # 6L2T-18C869-AK) is starting to have problems including the screen is partially dying (not a big deal yet), the volume dial doesn't smoothly go up or down in volume (also not a big deal, but annoying), and the aux input isn't working correctly anymore (sometimes plays only on one side and makes scratchy noises when I go over bumps). The aux input actually is aftermarket, but the aftermarket piece isn't the problem as I've found out.

Anyway, I was looking at OEM radios to replace it on eBay and it seems the Explorer could also be had with a 6 CD changer, and I thought if it was interchangeable I'd get that instead. Now I can see the mount (where you screw it into the console) is a bit different, but I was thinking I could make it work if that's all that was different. Does anyone know? Has anyone gone from the base radio to the 6 CD changer? I feel like it's probably a stretch, but I thought I'd at least ask.

The cassette in the 6cd radio is prone to failure. Mine has never worked (Bought used) given a choice I would upgrade to aftermarket and take advantage of some updated technology like bluetooth/streaming from a phone or a usb for music.

Alright, thanks. I've gone aftermarket before, but I prefer the look of the stock radio and the simplicity of it. I think I'll just go ahead and get the same radio.

Back