Solved - 1st Gen Abs sensor replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 1st Gen Abs sensor replacement

Post number 11 has been selected as best answered.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Exploring XLT

Never Stop Explorering
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Stony Plain
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD
I am trying to replace my front ABS sensors in my '93 Explorer, it is proving to be more difficult than I thought, can Somone more experienced take a look at these picks and tell me what is wrong? I removed the bolt that goes through the and sensor and truce to pull it off, nothing. so I pulled the brake rotor of and truce to pound it out, destroyed the sensor, but no closer to getting it out. am I missing an attachment somewhere?
20180730_085358.jpg
20180730_085426.jpg
20180730_085434.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am trying to replace my front and sensors in my '93 Explorer, it is proving to be more difficult than I thought, can Somone more experienced take a look at these picks and tell me what is wrong? I removed the bolt that goes through the and sensor and truce to pull it off, nothing. so I pulled the brake rotor of and truce to pound it out, destroyed the sensor, but no closer to getting it out. am I missing an attachment somewhere?View attachment 161374 View attachment 161375 View attachment 161376

The ABS sensor is only held in with that single bolt you have already removed. Over time the aluminum sensor housing can get stuck in the knuckle due to rust and oxidation. I would typically removed the ABS sensor protector to give it more room, but it's bolt appears striped (they often are). As such I would keep beating on it to knock it through. An Air hammer would do nicely.. you could also try drilling it out to remove the bulk of the material as the more you can remove the less you need to beat through the hole in the back.

upload_2018-7-30_16-16-17.png

Ok, I'll keep pounding on it. Thank you! I will have to check what tips I have for my air hammer

If it were a more commonly failed part it would be good to ream it out to accept a nylon sleeve or maybe stainless.

Hold up please.... There are 2 bolts you have to remove. One of them you can still see in the OP's 1st picture. it is to the left in that pic. It doesn't look like it is part of it, but it is. That bolt is the dreaded hard to find, 12 pt 6mm. I have only been able to get a 1/4" drive 6mm to fit in there to remove it. I would spray the heck out of it with PB Blaster (or something like it) a couple times a day, for a few days, to loosen it up. If the bolt is frozen, you can cut it off.

To cut it off, you have to cut from the front, and flush with the spindle. Once you cut the bolt there, it will come out.

Although you don't need to remove the ABS protector to remove the sensor it does make it easier. A 6mm 12pt bolt holds the ABS sensor protector in place. This bolt is often mangled and hard to remove. You can simple use a drill bit and dremel grinding wheel from the in board side and remove the bolt head which will make the ABS protector fall off. You can then use vice grips to remove the bolt from the protector. You can then use an angle grinder to cut off the ABS sensor and knock the remnants through the knuckle.

upload_2018-7-31_10-0-41.png

I am debating pulling the whole steering knuckle off and working on a bench

What ended up working?

Well, I tried to drill the bolt head for the sensor shield out, but ended up needing a drill bit that I didn't have, so I hammered on the sensor, the sensor and plastic piece broke of from the retaining bolt side, some pounding up and down and pliars had that out and it was good to go. ABS light is gone and it is working again!

Back