Wind Buffeting Noise When Window Open!!! | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wind Buffeting Noise When Window Open!!!

Had a '06 PT Cruiser that if the rear windows were down and front windows were closed at highway speeds the "buffeting" was unbearable. Only let it happen a couple times. Our XLT is not as bad as the PT was. So it is not an issue common to any one manufacturer.

crrobbins

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum expalfa2012.:wavey:
This 'wind buffeting' is a very common and known issue with almost every vehicle on the road today.

Peter

Would the side window deflectors help alleviate some of the noise? I don't usually have any need for the back window to be open, but I did put it down after reading this thread and the noise was deafening.

wind noise

I'm shocked at how many do not open the rear windows and thus dont experience "helicopter noise".My wife asked other 2013 explorer driver and she had never opened rear windows.When she did she was blown away by the noise.My wife is trying to make good on the dealership fixing other items since our 2012 explorer is certified w/ 43k miles.Dealership found a mouse nest next to wiring harness and tried to blame it on us.Weve only had vehicle for 3 weeks!Airbag signal wire was chewed through!We are borrowing a little vw suv and beleive it or not the helicoptering is also evident w/ windows down,so it is a common problem that is accepted and no dealer talks about.I think the window visors can only help.Im considering weathertec which seems to be only snap in version,Lund and ford are tape on.Not sure I like that.This is the cost of a large mass cutting through the slipstream.An aerodynamic dilemma and annoying.Anything to redirect or disturb the airflow should be considered.But keep in mind its also a function of air pressure.

I'm shocked at how many do not open the rear windows and thus dont experience "helicopter noise".

I have not opened the back windows on any vehicle since 1968..With climate control it does not make any sense to me..Who really wants to ride around with wind noise even on a nice cool day..The only time I drop the drivers window is for the parking garage to get my ticket otherwise all windows stay closed all year long.

Everybody I know just sets their climate control to their desired temperature and never drop the windows.

That is just IMHO..To each their own.

I have not opened the back windows on any vehicle since 1968..With climate control it does not make any sense to me..Who really wants to ride around with wind noise even on a nice cool day..The only time I drop the drivers window is for the parking garage to get my ticket otherwise all windows stay closed all year long.

Everybody I know just sets their climate control to their desired temperature and never drop the windows.

That is just IMHO..To each their own.

Not everyone lives in the muggy armpit that is Florida ;) As you said - to each their own. For those who like to drive with windows down, wind noise isn't bad if you stagger the windows even a little bit. Our dogs LOVE the rear windows dropped, and if I move the front windows to any other position than both full open or both fully closed, there's almost no buffeting.

On nice warm days I like to roll the driver's window down and rest my arm on the window sill (something I couldn't do comfortably in the Ex) even with the climate control operating. There is just a very nice feeling when I do this. Perhaps it reminds me of the old days. On the highway I'll sometimes slide the moon roof open and keep the windows closed. The 2nd row windows are hardly ever down unless I'm taking the dogs to the vet or groomer, both of which are about a 5 minute drive in the village. Learned a valuable lesson this past Summer. Depending on what breed of dog you have, never drive with all the windows down AFTER the grooming. Talk about hair floating everywhere.:D

Peter

Welcome to the Forum expalfa2012.:wavey:
This 'wind buffeting' is a very common and known issue with almost every vehicle on the road today.

Peter

Agreed

Unfortunately there is nothing that can be done. It is a fact of nature. It is the airflow over the vehicle and its cd coefficient ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_coefficient ) that causes this. The lower the coefficient, the lower the drag on the vehicle in the air. Lower CD coefficient equates to better gas mileage. The car is designed to be most efficient when it comes to aerodynamics with the windows up. Every car will be different. Ford will not be able to do anything about it. We just learn how to deal with it. I drive with my drivers window down all the time along with that I lower the rear drivers side window down a bout 6 inches and all is perfect.

Live with it! Ford is not going to redesign your Explorer just to get rid of an aerodynamics issue.

My 2012 XLT with sun/moonroof option has that sound when window(s) are open, speeds reach 30+ mph and the fabric shade for the roof is completely closed.

Two solutions that I use are:

1) Open the fabric shade so that it is completely retracted, and therefore doesn't act like the membrane on a timpani drum which will vibrate with the aerodynamic venturi effect.

2) Close the window(s) once speeds surpass that 30+ mph figure.

(or #3 .. wear earplugs!)

Noise with Rear Windows down

Guys, Last weekend I also got Explorer 2015 Sport. I live in Denver area. Earlier I have had Santa Fe 2007, 2010 and Sonata 2006. All of those vehicles also generated a loud jumping noise when ONLY the rear windows were taken down. I have not tried to wind down the rear windows in Ford Explorer as yet, however I do expect that they will create the same sound. Most of the vehicles these days have design dynamics to create least resistance, hence this issue.

Normally winding down your front windows along with rear, or just crack opening 3 - 4 inches of the front window should fix that. At least that is what I used to do when driving in local city. On highways I normally always keep the windows tight shut.

I don't think you can "wind down" the windows of these newer Explorers. They are all power now. :D

Peter

I'm getting this really strange effect sometimes when I open a window as I'm driving down the road. It's like the cabin air pressure is going into some sort of sub-sonic pulse resonance. It's really annoying. Never happens if the windows are shut, only happens if a window is open and I'm driving about 30 to 40 mph. Has anyone else noticed this? I did a search and didn't find anything.

It is just the aerodynamics of the vehicle. Newer vehicles are not designed to be driven with the windows down.

Back