Opinions/Thoughts on Upcoming Purchase 2010 Explorer V6 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Opinions/Thoughts on Upcoming Purchase 2010 Explorer V6

Unless you are going to tow with it, the V6 is fine. But if you aren't going to tow with it, be sure the V6 model has the smaller (1¼" square) hitch receiver. If it's the V6 with 2" receiver, that will have the 3.73 towing axle gearing, and gas mileage will suffer.

My 2007 V6 has 151k with the original engine, and the engine still runs good.
The transmission, however, is not faring too well. It slips into neutral out of park, misses gears, and whines.

I'd buy it again, I was impressed with the value, as a teenager with limited funds, I got lots of features (10 way power-memory seat, cruise control, dual auto climate control, and lots of other little touches) for just 5.5K. I have some friends that spent about that much on trucks that are 6 years older, trucks in which AC was an option.

Before you buy it, pay a mechanic to take a look at it, and get a CARFAX. I neglected to do these things, and I had to fix a lot of stuff when I first got it, some I could do myself. (Anti roll bar, AC, third row seats) Spending $200 on mechanic opinion is much better than spending upwards of 3.5k on a new transmission like I'll have to soon.

I paid $15k at a dealer for my 07 that had 72k on it In 2013. I rebuilt the tranny at 80k and that still didn't quite fix it for long. I just replaced the Valve body and solenoids last weekend and thinkminmay have finally fixed my issue (fingers crossed). Anyway, my point being is that if it's already had tranny issues and a rebuild at less than 30k I'd be leery of it. Rebuilt transmission means nothing to me anymore and I've read enough other posts I know many people feel the same way. I'd only want an updated remanufactured unit if I were to do it again.

Long story short, it's hit or miss whether you're gonna have problems. Do what everyone else says listen to the engine, do the shifts feel crisp or do they shudder a bit through the gears. Once warmed up how does it shift between gears is there any flairing or slipping even of the smallest amount. Make sure it runs absolutely perfect.
I also have to say I would not pay $12k for an 8 year old Ex regardless of mileage unless it was a Sport track. You can find a Nice V8 for $12K and even if it has higher miles than this one you're looking at it will probably last you longer.

Back