Will it tow? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Will it tow?

Greetings Explorations,

Got a few questions about my 2017 XLT 4x4. I want to pull a dual axle "load runner" 6x12 box trailer.

My XLT did "not" come with factory installed towing, however was pre-installed with the electric brake adapter. I have personally installed the Ford Accessories Class 1 (2" Trailer Hitch) and Prodigy 3 Brake Controller connecting it directly under the dash as well as a 7-way Plug for Electric brakes in the back. The controller instantly recognizes when the trailer is connected.

Does this confirm I have the bigger radiator and trans cooler? Or just confirmed I was pre-wired for electric brake control?

Advertised dry weight of the Load Runner is 1680 lbs. I know the Ford Accessories Hitch is advertised as a Class 1 but is really a Class 3 because of the 2" receiver. What I'd like to know is roughly where do I stand on limit since my XLT didn't come factory with towing? I plan on loading the trailer with roughly 1000 lbs. Small hot tub and a motorcycle. This puts me just shy of (if rounding up) of 2700 lbs. 3000 lbs if you count my weight and my sons as passengers.

What do you guys think? Too much for the EX to handle... to big of a trailer? I could just hook up to my Super Duty if need be but I thought the comfort of my EX would be nice since the trip I am taking is about 8 hours one way.

Appreciate the feedback in advance,

Cheers

Nemi

No. 2" receiver does NOT mean it's "really" a Class 3. The material, construction, and attachment method (and maybe other things), determines the load and towing limits. If this was clearly stated as Class 1, then that is what you have.
That's up to 2000 lbs of trailer and up to 200 lbs of tongue weight.

Take it back and get a Class 2, for up to 3500/350 lbs.

Otherwise, I applaud you on all the other work. With the correct hitch, and the functioning trailer brakes, you should not have a problem towing up to 3500 lbs (like you said, including passengers and stuff in the truck). Be sure to load properly, with at least 10% of the total trailer load on the ball, to avoid sway. The dual axles will help with stability, too.

Hey Brakeman,

Thank you for the feedback and clarification. My statement about the 2" receiver comes from reading about it. So I appreciate the details. I went with the Ford Accessories designed for the simple fact that it keeps at bumper level. The other models seem to drop it quite low. My research on mounting methods didn't seem to vary much from Ford to aftermarket so why Ford rates theirs as a Class 1 if you do it your self VS buy it pre-installed will remain a mystery. I am sure it has to do with the difference in Transmissions and Coolers that come with factory installed Towing.

Well if I decide when I leave there is any doubt I'll just end up using my Superduty. When towing it is worth the risk. Just feel like I added all this and I am still limited to not very much. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

Thanks again and I look forward to any future feedback,

How is the receiver attached to the truck? How many fasteners, and in what locations?

4 main locations under the uni-body frame (two each side), two out front (one each side) and two main locations directly in the center just above the receiver. Totaling 8 mounting locations. From what I can tell it mounts in more locations than any aftermarket Class 3, however the construction of those Class 3's make up where this "Ford" model may fall short. I am still going to treat this as a Class 1 because the more I read the more I learn that is how Ford intended it. Unless I install or confirm the presence of an Oil Cooler, larger Radiator... anything over the Class 1 threshold might be too much.

All that being said, the All Wheel Drive and 3.5 should be enough to pull what I am wanting to. Especially with a P3 Brake Controller to help the braking. I also have no plans to ever exceed that much weight with future pulls. Just not sure its worth the trouble especially at such a distance.

Back