Solved - A/C compressor clutch issue. 2006 with a 4.0L engine. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved A/C compressor clutch issue. 2006 with a 4.0L engine.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

RandomNerd2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 5.0, 01 4.0.
So, question. Mom has a 06 Explorer 4.0 V6, and the AC clutch just went out on it, there's sticky stuff around the edge of the clutch and no signs of life following one HECK of a racket. How hard is changing the clutch itself? The system is charged and worked fine up till suddenly stopping. Don't especially want to have to do an entire compressor unless that's the simplest way to fix it.

Also, on compressors, what's the difference between AUX Heat/AC equipped trucks and non-equipped trucks? Truck is a 4.0 Eddie Bauer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have asked that question on my 06 also.
It makes a rattling type noise when the clutch is engaged, but the AC is working fine.
Just depends on who you talk to, same say you have to change the compressor some say you don’t.
Just depends how slow of a week they are having.

The Aux might be referring to the rear AC versions.

Sticky stuff is black as rubber, and nope, we've owned the truck five years and it's never needed charged or anything. The auto parts stores here say you can't get just a clutch for it. It does have the rear AC and heat, a used compressor on eBay runs $75ish. This compressor looks extremely easy to swap out, it was working, made one HECK of a racket and then stopped. Now with the AC on wide open it just barely turns the compressor.

Just looked at rock auto and I don’t see a clutch only.

This one has a different style clutch than a normal compressor. However, I got it apart this morning, coil appears fine, so does the pulley, but the hub is toast, it's got a rubber insert the whole way around that's coming out in a million bits. I can turn the compressor with my fingers so I'm going to simply replace the hub and that'll likely fix it. The dealer acted as though this is common when we priced the part, but Rockauto is a ton cheaper so we're going with that.

Alright update. Hub arrived and is now installed. the actual plate came loose on the old hub, I would upload pictures but I'm not premium. Anyhow, AC is freezing cold yet again.

Back