Third brake light not working | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Third brake light not working

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone have pictures of the connector and exactly where it is. The picture links on the prior threads don't open.

do you have the towing package?

Yes i do. When i hook my trailer, all the trailer lights work, if that makes a difference.

it goes on and off randomly after cleaning the connector. I wish i knew where the short was. seems it would be easy enough to just jump it out.

Not trying to revive an old thread but I just got old girl back on the road once again needs inspection everything fine except third brake light took advice on cleaning trailer connector and by god if this sight didn't save me tons of money and aggravation once again I never would have guessed that would work.

I converted my '97's non-working florescent 3rd brake light to LED for $12.

Please do tell as it may come in handy in the future

Please do tell as it may come in handy in the future

I did a complete project thread on this years ago. Try searching the forum for it. I bought a LED light strip from superbrightleds. It was cut-able every 3 LED's, was 100% waterproof and had 3M adhesive tape on the back. I removed the old light assembly, opened it up and removed the florescent bulb and thru it in the trash along with its transformer. I used the transformers 12V power and ground wires to power the LED strip. Worked out great.

Does anybody have a picture of where the 10 amp fuse is located somewhere by the ballast?

It's been mentioned a couple times here but no pics showing it. Just another thing to check if the light stops working.

Makes sense sounds easy enough hopefully I won't find myself in that boat sooner than later thanks for the info.

Makes sense sounds easy enough hopefully I won't find myself in that boat sooner than later thanks for the info.

The hardest part was removing the lens from the light housing. It involves using the oven to warm the old adhesive to the point where you can pry it apart. Not hot enough and it wont come off, too hot... use your imagination. My original post from years ago has what temp/time worked for me.

Lots of good info in this thread:
'97 third brake light conversion to LED

I'm actually hunting a 4th brake light set to go under the tail gate but would prefer a solid bar if possible.

All I see on the Super Bright web site is flexible.

Really looking for 4 function bar if I can find a good one.

Does anyone have an opinion?

About 2 months back, bought a Chevy Venture style 3rd light off e-bay for 10 bucks. Drilled two holes to mount it on the roof, waterproofed it all and ran the wires down and tied into the brake light on the right side rear. Been happy ever since.

About 2 months back, bought a Chevy Venture style 3rd light off e-bay for 10 bucks. Drilled two holes to mount it on the roof, waterproofed it all and ran the wires down and tied into the brake light on the right side rear. Been happy ever since.

How about a pic?

Here you go
20181122_125014.jpg

20181122_125029.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good.

Back